Thursday, December 18, 2008

Y is for Yarrow

Achillea millefolium

aka....Milfoil, Knights milfoil, soldiers woundwort, herbe militarias, carpenter's weed, staunchweed, nose bleed, sanguinary, bloodwort.... just reading those names is a clue to the use of this herb's use throughout history. It got the name Achillea from the ledgend that it was used to staunch the bleeding of Achilles' soldiers war wounds.

This white yarrow is the variety that grows throughout Northern Arizona. I used to keep some in my garden and when one of my children got a minor cut or scrape I just mincd a little yarrow, mixed it up with a morter and pestle added some aloe vera, applied it to the wound and slapped a bandaid on it. As a dressing, it was a little lumpy, but I can't remember any complaints and everything healed just fine.

This pink yarrow is the variety growing in my garden now, but wild white yarrow still grows wild around the old well house. Many Gardners like this red variety although I've never had any luck growing it.

I'd like to have some of this cheerful yellow variety that was introduced from Europe and now grows wild in many areas of the United states.

I had a friend who made a salve of yarrow, aloe vera, and some other healing herbs, bonding it with beeswax from her own hives, a great improvement over my method. We called it her 'glop' and used it for years for everything from cuts to skin rashes.
A healing ointment is still made from yarrow and used in the Highlands of Scotland today.
The flowers are pretty in fresh cut or dried bouquets or just nodding their heads under the weight of droning bees in the summertime....

8 comments:

Granny Annie said...

I love Yarrow. Did not know what it was called.

Cannot wait to see what you do with "Z". You're going to be my "I Love Your Blog" pick for tomorrow.

What are you going to do now that you are ending with the alphabet?

Linda G. said...

GA you Dickens! I was going to do Zzzzzzzzzzz for sleeping the day away.... Now I will have to think of something more worthwhile:)

david mcmahon said...

We have a variety of that here in Australia too - but I didn't know what it was called.

Thank you.

Shammickite said...

I read that if you plant yarrow near your door, you will never be bothered with ants invading your house.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I had no idea about any of that Yarrow info. But I truly enjoyed learning about Yarrow. What a versatile and useful plant, too.

Well, only one more letter to go. Whew! Are you going to take some time off, like I plan to do?
26 posts in 26 days was quite exhausting, though I did enjoy the challenge. Did you, too?

~Lisa
New Mexico

Frumious said...

Interesting stuff about Yarrow. I wonder if it is an ingredient in any modern medicines. I was actually searching for information about a different milfoil when I found this blog, but think now that on my first opportunity, I will do some hiking to stock my medicine cabinet. If you are interested in some of the quirky histories of common names of different species of plants, you should search “Babington’s Curse”. The name is referenced quite a bit, but actually finding the history behind it is a little challenging. It is, however, well worth your while if you are interested in this kind of exercise.

Linda G. said...

David, it's interesting that it grows there..I wonder if it was introduced or grows there naturally..thanks for stopping by:)

Sham, interesting...it does have a pungent smell..

Lisa, it's been fun:)

Frumious, I used to be quite interested in botanical medicines. I doubt yarrow is used by the drug companies today, but it was used internally for quite a few maladies.
I never heard of "Babington's curse," ..can hardly wait to find out about it!
Thanks for stipping by my blog:

Sue said...

I just stopped by from Gem's blog, and I must say, I love your yarrow post! I'm looking forward to the post Z posts as well!