Friday, December 12, 2008

S is for Spicy

Once or twice a year, I order spices and herbs online. By ordering the spices I use frequently, like chili powder and curry, in bulk I save a little money. But mostly I do it because they are fresher, and each time I can order something I've never tried before. This time I got a small jar of chipotle chili powder for it's smoky Southwest flavor, and some toasted onion powder hoping to give dips the taste without the salt. In the past I've ordered vanilla beans and lemon zest (not as good as freshly grated). Next time I think I'll try some whole nutmegs to grate myself!

I order from Spice Barn, but there are many spice companies online. They used to package everything in plastic bags, so that the whole house was filled with exotic scent the moment the box was opened.
Now, the packages, designed to preserve their contents, seal that aroma away. Still, it's fun to open the box and to think of the things I can cook...

6 comments:

Mary Beth said...

If you don't already have a microplane, I'd suggest getting one from either the hardware store or the supermarket. They make grating nutmeg a breeze! I love mine:) I particularly like the sweet spices (ginger, cinnamon, etc.) because I always think of spice cookies:D

Linda G. said...

Thanks Jesus, Feliz Novidad!

MB, thanks, I'd like to have a special little grater..mmm I can hardly wait!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a spicy little post! And I'd imagine that recieving all those spices would be so fun!

~Lisa
New Mexico

Kathryn said...

There is a Penzey's Spice store in Scottsdale (in a strip mall on Hayden between Indian School and Thomas). It is heaven to go in the store and smell all the different spices and herbs. They sell small and larger amounts and have samples to sniff for all of their products. I have no connection with the store, I just like it!

Linda G. said...

Kathryn, thanks for stopping by and for telling me about Penzeys. It's on the agenda for my next trip to Phoenix! The smell alone must be heavenly:)

GEM said...

A friend of mine sells some really great products, some a little spicy, others not so....

here's a link.....https://www.meganspantry.com/CherylanneBrennan.aspx