Saturday, December 6, 2008

M is for Mom

Rick the talented cartoonist at Organized Doodles, suggested that I use Mom for M, and I realized that I haven't written about my Mom lately.
When I was a little girl suffering from asthma, my Mom and I traveled around looking for a place I could breathe. I still think she was brave, as a divorcee with a child, hopping a train arriving in Colorado Springs, or Estancia, New Mexico or Prescott, Arizona, finding a job, and enrolling me in a new school. We landed in Prescott in 1947 and have lived here ever since. Well pretty much ever since, but those are other stories..








Mom had her 95th Birthday on April 19, of this year. She opted for a smaller, just-family celebration this year.


















You may remember that she started taking clarinet lessons in November of last year. This year, she participated in her church's annual talent show where she got a standing ovation from the audience! Mom explained to them that she hadn't been playing long, but she'd played the clarinet in high school.
"Of course, that was eighty years ago," sez Mom, and brought the house down. Her playing was excellent as well.












A couple of months ago, my daughter rented a lift so that my son could take down some dead trees for her. (that's a post in itself) There were fringe benefits for us and one was a ride into the sky to look down at our world from a sixty foot vantage point.
There goes Mom..........


She hasn't given up her workshop either! Here's a whimsical birdhouse she built for her Church's rummage sale. She's ordered a new table saw and is planning to make more of these!






















So what keeps Mom so vital at 95? Aside from some good genes, Mom has a real zest for life. She finds something new to read, to do, to make, to try, to think about every day... The word tomorrow is synonymous to potential for Mom.

Keep on keeping on, Mom....we love you!

5 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Your mom is an inspiration! I hope to be half as active as she is:)

Thank you so much for my award - I will be posting about it today. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you - things have been a little hectic!

Jan said...

She..this brought tears to my eyes, remembering my own dear mother who would have been 95 in December.

How it touches my heart to know that your mom is living her life to the fullest, and how blessed you are to have her with you, still.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

God bless you both, my dear friend.

Anonymous said...

What an inspiration.

And I also enjoyed your post about milk and salt. I am getting used to it a little at a time.

Here where I live in Southwestern Ohio, north of Dayton, the home of aviation, the Wright Brothers and Paul Lawrence Dunbar, the poet; it is snowing and has all day. It is 27 degrees F ( -2.7 C)and roads are a mess.

I wanted to thank you for your visits and for keeping track of me while I have been both in and out of the hospital.

Linda G. said...

MB, you're welcome, and don't appologize..we're all in the same boat..wanting to read all our blogger friends, but being too darn busy:!

Jan, I know how much you miss your sweet Mother...hugs to you...

Abe, I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time. I know things will come together for you and you'll soon be feeling much better and your taste buds will be blossoming:) But I wouldn't trade our Arizona weather for yours!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! Your Mom is amazing! Living life to it's fullest, too. I want to be like her. Does she follow any special diet or exercise program?
Good for her to always be feeding her brain so much new information all the time, too.
Just think you carry her genes, too. Ever wonder how long you will live, too?

I so want one of her whimsical birdhouses. Does she ever make them for sale, too?

~Lisa
New Mexico

Oh! And Mom is the best word for the letter "M"!