Friday, December 5, 2008

L is for Land

We live in a huge Country, and like most people E and I are grateful to have a little piece to call our own. It's important to us to own a little piece of land and to enjoy the full rights that attend that ownership. But we know that we are, part and parcel, a little jigsaw piece of one Homeland Deep down we know that not only does the Land belong to us, we belong to the Land.

Sir Walter Scott wrote, in 1805 (this is an excerpt)


The Lay of the Last Minstrel,

Breathes there the man with soul so dead
Who never to himself hath said,
This is my own, my native land!
Whose heart hath ne'er within him burned,
As home his footsteps he hath turned
From wandering on a foreign strand!
*
In the 1940's Woody Guthrie wrote:




Oh dear, now I must think of M...Ummmmmmmm..................

4 comments:

Rick said...

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the video. I am blessed to have my own little acre. I am thankful for that.

"M"? For me that's an easy one. "M" is for Mom.

Granny Annie said...

We love our 10 acres of Oklahoma rock near the lake. "L" for land is very important. "M" is for My Country:)

Linda G. said...

Rick, thanks for stopping by and I believe Mom is it!

lets face it GA, we're a couple of old patriots:)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a great video and song. I love that song. Makes me smile and get all warm and fuzzy inside :)

We have a little over 3 acres up here. Wish we had even more actually, but I'm grateful for what we have, too.

Terrific letter "L" :)

~Lisa
New Mexico