Sunday, December 7, 2008

N is for Nutmeg

This time of year our (well, mine anyway) thoughts turn to all those goodies special to the season..and what is the Holiday season without that cup or two of eggnog? And what is eggnog without that little sprinkle of nutmeg floating on top?

The nutmeg tree, going by the romantic name of Mrystica fragrans, is a native of the Moluccas (spice islands) and other neighboring islands. It abounds especially in the small cluster of islands called Banda. Mrystica fragrans is now cultivated in other parts of the East Indies.
The fleshy fruit of this hardy tree is used to make candy and for pickling. The seeds are covered by a red membrane called aril, and this is dried and ground to make the spice mace. The hard nut is then dried and finally, shelled for the kernel that is grated for nutmeg.
There's an interesting article about nutmeg here at about.com . You can go find a ton of recipes for both nutmeg mace. there as well.
There are a couple of eggnog recipes, one for those who like some rum or brandy in theirs, and one for those who don't.
This article mentions the popularity of this expensive spice in Europe and the fad of wealthy men and women to carry nutmeg and fancy little graters everywhere they went and making an ostentatious show of grating their own where ever they dined.
Taken in large amounts, nutmeg is a hallucinogenic drug and can be fatal. But that can be true of other commonly used herbs and spices, so enjoy that sprinkle on your eggnog or custard or quiche.

7 comments:

Granny J said...

Fascinating. Many years ago, a friend gave me, as a housewarming present, a grater with one nutmeg, which lasted for many a year, BTW. So I'm like those fops you described, though I don't carry the grater with me when I eat out. Nor do I put nutmeg in many foods. But in egg nog for sure.

Jan said...

She..this is really interesting!

Can't you just imagine those people grating nutmeg at their fancy dinners?

I wonder if they tried to out-do each other with their fancy graters? :)

Granny Annie said...

I did not know any of that. Before nutmeg was just something the recipe called for, now I respect nutmeg.

Linda G. said...

GJ, there's no way I could relate you to those foppish fops! I'm thinking of getting a nutmeg and grater myself..was it better on your eggnog do you think?

Jan, I'm sure they did! The graters were made of silver etc. and the nutmegs themselves were too costly for the common man.

GA, I've always loved nutmeg, and knew you could get whole nuts and grate your own, but I didn't know this either! Then I had to think of an N!

Granny J said...

In a nut (forgive the pun) shell, yes -- fresh grated nutmeg gets you high just sniffing it.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I love nutmeg in my eggnog, too. I had no idea that it is basically a pit inside a fruit before it becomes what we know as nutmeg, though. Very cool!

Wonderful "N" letter today.

~Lisa
New Mexico

Linda G. said...

Thanks Lisa:)