Tuesday, December 16, 2008

W is for Wintery, Windy Day...

Snow has been falling off and on since about noon yesterday. Cold creeps in through unseen cracks in the old part of the house and the floors are fridged. I wear warm socks inside my Pooh slippers and both E. and I hunch over our keyboards wearing lightweight jackets as we wait for the house to warm up in the mornings.
Don't get me wrong. I love winters snow storms. I used to love them for all the anticipation and preparation. Kids all home safe and sound..check! Several days worth of kindling in the wood box...check!......several days worth of logs split and piled on the back porch..Check!...a couple of weeks worth of hay and rabbit pellets and dog food stored.....Check.....bird feeders filled..Check!...people food stored..especially the kind that goes into warm winter soups and stews.....Check! Then it was time to set soup kettle bubbling, build up a cozy fire and to curl up with a good book and read, occasionally to look up to see the snow piling up and up and to read.....
Things have changed a lot. We're at a lower altitude now and we're in a drought cycle, so snow no longer piles up as it did in the past. We no longer have to get to work through snow and ice.
Our fire is a gas log, an instant blaze whenever we like. but we still fill the bird feeders and curl up to read and watch the snow hoping it will pile up.. The phone rings and my sweet Daughter Kanga asks, "Do you need anything from the store? " I am so blessed.....
The only negative thing about this particular storm is the fact that OmegaMom has flown Alaska in order to spend some time with Granny J. of Walking Prescott, and to soak up some Arizona sunshine. If I knew a Sun Dance, I would do it for them, but I know they always have fun together no matter what the weather!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where have you been all my life? I will have to bookmark this site. Maybe, hopefully, a daily visit with you is what I need. Just want you to know.

Jan said...

She..you'd love it here with me, watching the snow swirl around outside, and feeling the warmth of the woodburning stove--waiting to dig into a hot bowl of soup or stew.

But I'd love it there with you, too..I just know it! :)

Granny J said...

Ah, OmegaMom has calculated that she is getting twice the sun time here as in Alaska and, since the sun is much higher in the sky, even more light -- despite the grey, snowy weather.

Linda G. said...

What a nice thing to say..thank you, Dana:)

Jan, I betwe could talk the night away all cozied up before the fire:)

Gj, I guess it's all in perspective!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I love wintry weather as long as I can curl up in front of the fire with hot cocoa and a good book, too.

It's been snowing, sleeting, raining, and blowing for the past 5days. I'm not sure how long I can stay inside anymore. lol!
The books may run out soon....

Great choice for "W".

~Lisa
New Mexico