Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Love Story

I've been looking through old pictures again, separating them into catagories and trying to identify people I don't recognize. I happened to notice these pictures of my maternal Grandparents, Roy and Blanche Tilden. I love the way they look at one another.......
My Grandfather's parents were farmers in Benedict, Nebraska. They had five sons and one daughter. It became a tradition for the young school teachers to board at the big old Tilden farm house, and it was only natural that several of the young men married school teachers. When my Grandmother came to teach in the one room school house at Benedict, she also stayed with the Tilden family in the roomy farmhouse. She and my Grandfather formed an attraction, but before there could be any talk of marriage, her family decided to emigrate to Wyoming. Blanche with reluctant loyalty, went with them, making the journey to Cody Wyoming in a covered wagon traveling through Yellowstone Park. After they got settled, she went to work teaching in another one room, country school house.

Grandma Blanche used to tell about the borrowed horse she rode to school and back. This horse knew how to "take the bit" and she found herself helpless when, as soon as she was in the saddle he would run full tilt until he came to a gate where he would slam on the brakes, wait for her to open and reclose the gate, then take off hell-bent-for-leather for the next gate. I don't know if she had to dismount at every gate or if she was able to open and close them while remaining mounted. I wish I had listened more carefully to my Grandmother's stories!
The romantic part is that my Grandfather after mooning about the farm for awhile, saddled a horse and followed his heart to Wyoming where he and my Grandmother were married.
They returned to Nebraska where my Grandfather took the job of Postmaster of Benedict (I believe it was Benedict.) In a few years they were the parents of four small children and barely scraping by. They decided that my Grandfather should go to college to become a Veterinarian. With help from his family who gave them a little house in back of the newer farmhouse and cared for the four little children while my Grandmother taught school and my Grandfather was away at school, they made it through the four years it took my Grandfather to get his degree.

Look at the way they look at one another, standing hands entwined while he proudly holds his bag of Veterinary medicines.

And here they are when they were in their late fifties or early sixties, still gazing into one another's eyes

They were the kindest, most hard working people I've ever known and I still miss them.

15 comments:

TomboCheck said...

How awesome that you have these old photos! I've got very few photos of even my parents, and probably less than 5 of my grandparents. I wish I had things like this to look through and remember. :)

givethemhell said...

What a wonderful story of true love and hard work. You are lucky to have had such grandparents, sheoflittlebrain.

meggie said...

What a wonderful post. What a lovely couple they made. She looks just like one of my beloved Aunts! So pretty & sweet.
You are lucky to know their story, & have the photos to keep.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful the story had a happy ending too! The old photos are a treat.

Mary Beth said...

I love looking at old photos and these are wonderful! I understand the importance of grandparents in your life - mine were hugely important to me growing up. I love that your grandfather followed your grandmother west!

Gypsy Butterfly said...

Hello Linda, I love old photos. I collect them. I've even collected some very old victorian pics of people I don't know. There's something about those black and white photos and the way they use to pose for pictures that I really Like. I use to have a woman I didn't know in an antique frame, on an antique desk I have. She looked as if she was a young woman that was around during the time the titanic took place.

Linda G. said...

Tombo, I am lucky to have all the old photos. My childless cousins keep sending me more as they have no one to 'carry on' the family stuff.

Thanks Give'em:)

I love your family stories too Meggie:)

Welcome audiomomw:) It ws a happpy ending and they lived a good life.

Mary Beth, like you, I was foutunated to spend lots of time with my Grandparents. I do think we were lucky!

Lydia, I love that you are giving the photos of those people an honored place in your home:) I had a friend who knew little of her family history, so she found an old group picture and called them family. She named them and made up stories about them for her children. It was very fun.

Jan said...

She, I commented before, but it didn't publish, and I didn't know it until just now. I will have to be more careful before leaving, and make sure that I get the word verification right.

I think that this is a wonderful love story, beautifully told.

No wonder you are such a remarkable person! :)

Linda G. said...

Jan, that happens to me too! I check to see the response to a comment and huh..no comment!

Akasha Savage. said...

What an interesting post, and lovely old photos. Thanks again for sharing. :)

Granny J said...

Jan isn't the only one! I know I wrote a comment; I don't know if I published, tried to publish or did the screening BLTPSP (do you recall how Al Capp spelled that???)

Granny J said...

In any event, that is a lovely story you told, of your grandparents.

Linda G. said...

Thanks Akasha:)

GJ, I don't know why that happens! I know it happens to me sometimes on other blogs.
Thanks for your comment:)

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

Such a beautiful story. It's so great that you have the photos and the stories to go with them.

occam said...

That is a great Love Story. I showed it to my husband and all he could say was he loved the fireplace in the last picture. Men, they are so romantic!