Tuesday, February 12, 2008

It's A Pig's Life!

I've been meaning to blog about the pot bellied pigs for a long time, but just hadn't gotten around to it. Here is my old fellow, T.S. Beliot sunning himself in a grassy spot with a little Mille Fleur hen busy scratching and picking at his back. As you see, he has little hair to support a flock of fleas, but the chickens seem to enjoy scratching about on his back and do seem to be finding something... hopefully weed seeds.... edible to them there.

It isn't unusual to see T. wandering across the back with a chicken or two riding along on his back, scratching away. But I can't seem to get a picture! These will have to do.

As you see, T. loves to zone out in the sunshine. He's chosen this grassy spot because his usual sunny spot in the soft earth of the old garden is still wet and not as warm. He has a hollow in the soft spot that he returns to most days for his midday nap. It is HIS spot and all the barnyard knows it.
Last fall, I happened to look out of the window to see T. standing in his hollow digging away, berming up the dirt around the edges. He was making his hollow deeper to protect himself from a chilly little wind that spoke of winter to come. Finally, he was satisfied enough to lie down in this nice nest and rest from his labors. That was when his companion pig, Suki approached his nest.
Suki is the epitome of a bossy female. She approached T. , and standing about a foot from his ear spoke to him in a loud, high pitched, and demanding squeal.
"Ooooooiiiieeee, " she complained, "Iiiiiiooooooeeeeee!"
T., obviously enraged by what she'd said, shouted back, "Arrrrggghhhh!"
It was a frightening, low pitched growl.
Again, Sukie's voice shrilled her whiny, high pitched demand. This time, T. lurched into a sitting position, roaring, gnashing his teeth and lunging toward her. She retreated a couple of steps, but here it came again, shrill and demanding, "Eeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooo!"
This time, T. abruptly stood up, moved about six feet away, and lay back down, turning his back to her.With an air of satisfaction, Sukie stepped daintily into the nice warm nest
where she settled in for a nap.
All I could think of was some of the exchanges between human couples that I've witnessed, and lets face it, participated in. It gave me something to think about...

14 comments:

givethemhell said...

These are cute pictures of animal friendship. I like the hen picking on the pig which seems to enjoy it.

TomboCheck said...

I'm pretty sure that I have actually had that exact conversation before... :)

Gypsy Butterfly said...

Hello, I love this cute photo of the pig and the chicken. How adorable!

Catalyst said...

Hilarious story!

Mary Beth said...

I love that there is more interspecies peace than among your own. What is it about emotions that makes our (or at least my) voices go up several octaves?

Granny Annie said...

What a great depiction of more of the joys of country life -- regardless of the size of our patch of earth!

We have never owned a potbelly pig but good friends had one they actually kept in their house!

Linda G. said...

Giv'em, I think he does like to have the chickens give him a good scratching.he loves it when we do it too:)

Tombo, I'm afraid we can all relate to that exchange..at least a little:)

Lydia, it's really funny when he's walking about with chikens on top,,

Thanks Cat:)

Mary Beth, mine too..and E.'s goes lower..

Grannie Annie, we do enjoy watching the animals. The pot bellies are rescue pigs and were never house pets, but they are pets and enjoy being fussed over.

Old Sourdough said...

I made myself promise I wasn't going to miss the farm when we left it, but sometimes, I sure miss my chickens. ...sigh... Great story, She.

Changes in the wind said...

I love the story but especially how you tell it. Makes me feel right there seeing and hearing it all:)
Pig rescue, that is a new one to me....but glad they are safe and happy and apparently so are the chickens:)

Shammickite said...

I didn't know you are the proud companion (I won't say owner) of a pair of PBPigs. Do they come in the house? I know they can be quite affectionate. T looks quite big!

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

What great photos and story. It's amazing how they interact just like humans.

meggie said...

I loved this story, & the pics too!
When my mother was a girl, her brothers brought a wild piglet home, after they had shot the mother. My mother loved him dearly, & said he was more faithful than a dog, as a pet.
A sow we once owned dug a nest to give birth to her babies, & unfortunately she killed 4 because she lay on them. Next time we built her a hay nest, above the ground.

Linda G. said...

OldSD, chickens are just so endearing!

Changes, rescuing an unwanted pig is like saving an unwanted cat or dog..just give them a good home:)

Ex, they are dear pets, but not house pets They weigh about 200 pounds:)

Hey Teach, I'm amazed at the way they fight and make up. Mostly they are very companionable.

Meggie, good story about the wild piggie..my 97 year old uncle still mourns the pet pig he had as a boy!
Those big sows seem to have trouble not lying on their babes...poor things..

Chris Eldin said...

I also love the way you tell this story. I never liked pigs until I saw Charlotte's Web. Yeah, I cried.

Must've been quite the experience to witness this!!!
:-)