Monday, March 3, 2008

Javelina

I know I've been neglecting Blog land lately, both writing and reading. I'm looking forward to finding time to catch up on everything that's been happening in your lives while I've been distracted. Life's been happening in the form of a visiting Grandson that's resulted in a house full of family. I seem to be expending a lot of time cooking, and unfortunately, eating. It's been fun, but now things will probably settle down for awhile.
I'm still going through photos, and found these of Eeyore and a young Javelina. I've mentioned these critters that are not pigs but Peccary, so much with no accompanying pictures I thought it would be fun to post them.
There were two half grown youngsters that started hanging out in the side yard, bedding down for the day under the low branches of a big old Arizona Cypress tree and rising at dusk to prowl about doing whatever Javelina do at night. This shows one emerging from the shrubbery It's not a very good picture, but shows the kind of sighting we normally have of these mostly shy creatures.
Eventually, something happened to one of the little fellows on a midnight ramble and one was left. They'd become used to me working about my garden fairly close to their lair, so it was only natural that the lonely little fellow turned to E. for companionship.

He's not quite fully grown, but most of the Javelina we see aren't much larger.

Well yes, I must admit there were some treats involved.

We went on vacation and returned to find him gone. I hope he moved on to find a mate, but we'll never know exactly what happened to him. Maybe he found another benefactor.

14 comments:

Jan said...

She..these are just the sweetest pictures!

I had no idea the little creatures would be so friendly and cute..thank you so much for sharing these pictures with us.

TomboCheck said...

I'd bet that he decided to leave because the treats disappeared.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos and compelling story.

Linda G. said...

Jan, they were sweet, and I feel sorry for the little herds that pass through when winter makes finding food dificult.

Tombo, I'm afraid that we did let him down on the treats although there was lots of birdseed and there were some nice flowers for him to eat..

Thanks OldML:)

photowannabe said...

Interesting. I didn't know these creatures were so friendly. I too hope this ones ok and has found a partner.

Granny J said...

I have a friend over in Mountain Club who puts out food for a small troop of javelina, tho they aren't as tame as that fellow you pictured. Very, very cool.

givethemhell said...

A house full of family, with cooking and eating together, what joy. You are a lucky woman, sheoflittlebrain. I love your family stories, and the photos of the pig are beautiful, too.

meggie said...

Solb, you are lucky to have had family to keep you busy.
Nice photos here of Eeyore being kind. I hope they came to no harm. I had never heard of these creature until reading you, & Granny J. I have shown pictures to my friends, & they have learned of new animals too!

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

I agree that he left because the treats did and went off to find another generous human.

Linda G. said...

Photo, like all wildlife in our area, these creatures take their chances with dwindling habitat and must integrate into human territory. It's sad as not all humans feel kindly toward them.

GJ, normally we don't feed them. They eat spilled bird seed, tomato vines and tulips though!

Thanks Give'em, I do feel lucky to have a big, close family:)

Meggie, I love to cook for the whole bunch, get everyone around the big kitchen table and just listen to the conversation:) It's fun for us to read of the creatures on your side of the world too!

Hey Teach, I can only hope that the little fellow found something or xomeone else. There are others in our neighborhood who feed them.

Gypsy Butterfly said...

Hello Linda, I know what you mean about getting bussy with other things and not blogging as much. This happens to me a lot. I love the cute photos you have displayed on this post.

Old Sourdough said...

Great shots, She. How interesting! My snow is turning to ICE. Yikes!

Linda G. said...

Lydia, spring seems like a busy time too. You're probably reading the seed catalogs just as I am!

OldSD, yikes is right! It's finally warming up a bit in sunny Arizona. All this Global Warming has been freezing us all out!

Anonymous said...

Super post. We had a small rabbit that hung around for a few days. He would sit quietly when I took his picture, but eventually got tired of hanging around and left.