Saturday, November 22, 2008

In Search of Art

One day last fall we were at loose ends and looking around for something to do, decided to have lunch at JB's (including PIE) and then take in the art show at Yavapai college.
There were some nice big paintings with a woodsy wildflower theme by the artist Mary Farmer, and some gizmos and gadgets. The girls each picked out a favorite painting and we left quite satisfied.
In the car, the girls started giggling among themselves. "Grandma, did you see that bar of soap with the Lord's Prayer carved in Aramaic," they wondered. "Yes," I had seen it and had squinted at the fine print long enough to see that the tiny print on the bar of ivory soap was in Aramaic and that the price was $250.
"Isn't that terrible!" They were puffed up with indignation.
"Well, the artist must have felt he was saying something that was important to him..."
"After all, Aramaic is probably the language Jesus spoke," I pointed out.
At this point, E. shot me a sideways look. "Did you read the description," he asked, obviously amused.
"Not all of it," I confessed. At this time, they all had a great time informing me that the dark lines that emphasized each carefully carved letter were made up of the artist's embedded pubic hair!
Needless to say, the trip was a success for shock value alone. Now I'm wondering if any of our County tax dollars found their way into that project! It's hard for me to think of that sort of project as not so much art, but the result of an adolescent mind needing to shake up the establishment. What do you think?
Granny J. has a great post of Prescott area bronzes here. There you can see the work of some wonderful artists.

I thought I'd remember the names of the Mary Farmer paintings, but only remember the one below, The Stigmata Tree.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jan said...

What do you think?

Words fail me, She..but I do wish I could have seen your face when they told you! LOL

Linda G. said...

Jan, I can picture them in middle age saying, "Remember when Grandma took us to the art show and we had to tell her..." and then the giggles all over again..I hope it'll go that way:)

Granny Annie said...

I believe this tops the time my godchildren told me, "Remember the time we walked around Walmart with you and didn't tell you that there was big bugger hanging out of your nose?"

Writing with pubic hair? What is the world coming to?

Linda G. said...

LOL GA! Kids are so wonderful!