Monday, November 24, 2008

An Apple a Day

What's with blogger anyway? At this last minute, I decided to participate in Lisa (Laughing Orca Ranch)'s challenge to post an alphabetical letter a day. Now what about A? Well Apple of course, so I hopped aboard the Google Express and found pictures of all my favorite apples. Now, I can't upload the pictures.
Okay, nothing daunted, well maybe a little daunted..I shall persevere (does anyone else remember an actor, a long, tall guy maybe named Clyde Culpepper reciting a poem, Persevere in silly, over modulated tones on the old Dick Van Dyke show? Well, never mind.....

I gathered pictures of real apples the kind of apple that, when you plant a seed, will actually grow into a tree of the same variety. I'm not talking about the hybrid apples they tout as superior these days.
People used to plant several varieties of apples to serve different purposes. There were small, oh-so-tart Jonathan perfect for pies and big red Rome Beauties for baking, their centers bubbling with raisins and nu
ts and cinnamon.
There were McIntosh that obligingly served either purpose very well.
There were red delicious, crisp and juicy for crunching in front of the cozy autumnal fire before facing a trek to the cold upstairs bedrooms. Smaller, flavorful Yellow Delicious served the same purpose.
Apples were carefully picked and wrapped in paper, to be stored beside baskets of root vegetables in the cellar. Hopefully they would last through the winter, each to be enjoyed for it's own purpose.
I'm thinking apple pie would go very well right now..

6 comments:

Granny J said...

Unfortunately for the apple, an Industry was created, and the flavor got left behind. My most recent disappointment was the Jonathan apple produced by Washington State orchards. I was used to those lovely scrawny Michigan and NY Jonathans that were crisp and tart enough for pies. Not this new breed, which is larger & flashier, but at the cost of flavor. And whatever happened to the old fashioned greening apple, used for all kinds of cookery? When I want real flavor, I walk around old neighborhoods & collect the fruit that falls to the sidewalk. And thank you for the link!

photowannabe said...

Ummm, homemade apple pie in a flaky crust, warm from the oven...nothing better.

Linda G. said...

GJ, I know..and they take two perfect apples the jonathan and the golden delicious and make the johgold that is neither good for eating or pies..pah!
you're welcome for the link:)

jphoto, I know I'm goig to end up making an apple pie before this is over!

Jan said...

Mmmm..hot apple pie, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Or, fried apple pies, hot off the grill--oh yeah, that'll work! :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

How fun that we're doing this side-by-side! :)
Apples. Good one. My favorite are Gala apples for eating. Granny Smith for bakig. :)

~Lisa
New Mexico

Linda G. said...

Jan and Lisa..you guys are making me hungry..