Saturday, November 29, 2008

F is for Fish

This is Mr. P., Hyposotomos Plecostomus. (You can click the picture to see him in detail) He's a variety of catfish who spends his time lazing about the bottom of the tank grazing on algae
Although he belongs to my son, Mr. P. is presently residing in our basement while they do some remodeling. This guy is about ten inches long, but in the right conditions a Plecostomus can achieve two feet in length.
These fish are found in Central and South America and you can read about them here
E. has grown very attached to this fellow and dearly loves to give him treats of cucumber and zuchini squash.
This illustrates the old addage that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, for which I am eternally grateful..

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love plecostomus! (plecostomi?) I made sure I had at least one in all my tanks. Your alphabet blogs are cool, She!

Linda G. said...

Thanks,OSD.

photowannabe said...

Not such a pretty guy but he sure would blend with the rocks. I notice his eye is varigated too. Interesting.

Granny Annie said...

Loving the alphabet posts! I looked at that rock for a long time amazed that a fish looked that way. Then I saw the fish. Pretty sure it's an age thing.

Linda G. said...

Photo, he can rotate that eye, not something all fish can do!

GA, I love the way you always post with large letters and in bold! My eyes have been bothering me too..

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

When we had fish tanks, we always had these beautiful, but strange looking fish. They did all the dirty cleaning work for me, so I love them.
They did kind of creep me out when having to vacuum the gravel, but I was still impressed with these fish.

Perfect letter for the day, by the way :)

~Lisa
New Mexico