Sunday, November 30, 2008

G is for Geranium

A couple of years ago, E an I were at our nearby garden center, Watter's, when I spied a display of red geraniums. These were much larger plants than I feel I can afford, but there in the middle of all that true red shone a single plant with blossoms in that yummy color that we, who were teens in the fifties, called Lipstick Pink. I guess the other way to describe this color is to call it rose. I have tried many times to photograph this plant and the color never comes out true. It's always pretty though, so I have resigned myself to show the many colors it appears on film and to celebrate the size it's attained sitting on the floor of the kitchen pushing everyone out of it's way. This picture is close, but a bit too salmon.
The top blossom is close to the color, but a bit too blueish....
The girls obligingly posed to give it some perspective...
Carl Linnaeus the father of botanical classification included these plants in the genus geranium, but in 1789 along came Charles L'Henitier who decided to differentiate these plants, originally from Africa, from the native species of geranium found in Europe and North America known as cranesbill. He called this genus pelargonium. Both cranesbill and pelargonium belong to the family Geraniaceae . Most gardeners still say geranium!

3 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Mt favorite letter subject so far. Geraniums are my most favorite flowering plant. And yours is HUGE!
You bought it!
Totally worth it for all the joy it gives you, eh?
I've never seen them get so big. It must be very content with all the good care it's receiving there.

~Lisa
New Mexico

Granny Annie said...

"G" can also be for "Green" which my thumb definitely is NOT. (But yours sure is.)

Linda G. said...

Lisa, I couldn's resist although it was considerably smaller ..still pricey..

GA, I've never had a geranium this happy..it keeps on growing when lesser plants would have died off already!