Monday, March 23, 2009

Sisters

This is my Mon at age two. She looks appropriately serious here, and I imagine that affording a studio portrait was a pretty serious matter to her parents. My Grandfather was just embarking, or about to embark on his Veterinary practice and there were two little boys to care for as well as the two girls. I know that they barely scraped by at this point in their lives and that my Grandmother sewed every stitch the children wore including the boys suits. Usually the material she used was from the cast off clothing of other family members, and it's not hard to imagine that these cute look-a-like dresses were stitched from someone's cast off petticoats!
Here, the sisters at two and four, look as though they're tired of posing for the camera. Doris has a pretty constrained smile! Don't you love that bow!
Once, when these little girls were both in their eighties, I heard them is an rather heated debate that harked back to one biting the head off the other's celluloid doll when they were children. "Well, you dared me!" proclained the offender.
I hope you have a lovely Spring Day!

6 comments:

TomboCheck said...

wow, what great photos! :)

I love seeing the child portraits of my family members.

Linda G. said...

Thanks Tombo! I'd love to see some of your old family pictures sometime:)

TomboCheck said...

I had the opportunity a few months ago to scan and clean up some of my mom's photos from her childhood.

Found on flickr

Granny Annie said...

Homemade clothing stopped with my mother. I cannot sew and my sister cannot sew. Prior to that, our clothes were either made by mother or grandmothers. How did all that end?

Your photos are exceptional. I love our old family pictures and I always wonder why no one smiles.

Thanks for you recent comments on my grandchildren's stories.

Changes in the wind said...

Love the pictures and your Grandmothers creativity!

Linda G. said...

GA, I did a little sewing when my kids were little. I had to teach myself (!!) and the early results were sometimes pretty funny. Like sewing two sleeves together:) I don't sew anymore though..
Those stories are awesome:)

Thanks Changes. My Gram made such pretty stuff out of nothing..wish I'd inherited her gift...