Saturday, March 7, 2009

Aerial Combat Over Lake Tapps

Yesterday, I received this email titled: Aerial Combat Over Lake Tapps.
The photos were taken by a professional photographer who sent them out as email with a wonderful commentary. I've googled the title to see if he published them and could only find a site that had copied his email.
I wish I could give him credit here for both photos and words. It's just too great not to share!

Update: Thanks to a commenter, I have the name of this photographer/author: Thank you Gary Wheeler!!

Update # 2: Thanks to another commenter, a prologue from the original email
"I was walking along the shore of Lake Tapps on Monday, and noticed a a little more than 1/4-mile away (as measured later by GoogleEarth). I saw a Bald Eagle circling and repeatedly diving on what I thought must be a school of fish. Soon he was joined by another Eagle and they began to fight each other for the prey. Territorial Eagle fights do happen,but I've never seen one, nor have I seen any good photos...

All these pics were taken hand-held with my Panasonic FZ-28 at 18X zoomwhich is 486mm. All pics were taken on Intelligent Automatic which is justpoint-and-shoot. I had previously selected okay up to ISO@0 and it was abright day, which is as good way to force the shutter speed to 1/500 sec. to1/1000 sec. for all the shots even though the camera performed everything automatically.

Most of the images were cropped to a small fraction of their original sizewhich effectively multiplies that Optical Focal Length of 486mm by the ratioof: original image width ÷ cropped image width. The action was over1/4-mile away, and I ended up with effective Focal Lengths of well over 1,000mm for half the pics shown here, so they are not up to my normalstandards of image quality. Nevertheless, they are exciting and tell quite a story...Enjoy, Gary


The fellow sitting on the tailgate of his pickup truck never realized what he was missing.
The little duck watches as the eagle speeds straight at him at about 40 mph.

With perfect timing the duck always dove and escaped with a mighty splash! Then he'd pop to the surface as soon as the Eagle flew past. This was repeated over and over for several minutes. I worried the poor duck would tire and that would be the last of him.

A second eagle joined the attack! The duck kept diving "just in time," so the eagles began to dive into the water after him!

After several minutes the Eagles got frustrated and began to attack each other. They soon began to dive vertically, level out, and attack head-on in an old fashioned game of high speed "Chicken," Sometimes they'd back away from each other at the last possible second. Other times they'd climb vertically and tear into each other while falling back toward the water. (The duck catches his breath at the right side of the picture.)


A terrible miscalculation! The luckiest shot of my life catches the 100 mph collision between two Bald Eagles.

One Eagle stayed aloft and flew away, but the other lies motionless in a crumpled heap. The lucky duck survived to live another day.


It's sad to watch an Eagle drown. He wriggled, flopped and struggled mostly under water. He finally got his head above water and with great difficulty managed to get airborne. To my astonishment, he flew straight toward me, and it was the most wretched and unstable bird flight I've ever seen!


He had a good six foot wingspread and looked mighty angry. I was concerned that I might become his next victim. The bedraggled Eagle circled me once then it lit atop a nearby fir tree.

My half hour wait was rewarded by this marvelous sight. He flew away, almost as good as new. May America recover as well."
Again, thank you to the unknown photographer/journalist who produced this work. If you see this and object to this publication or better, want to add your name for credit just leave a comment or email for me!

16 comments:

Granny J said...

Wow -- what a set of photos!!! What a lucky duckling (and clever, by far). Thanks for the show.

Changes in the wind said...

Now that was indeed aerial combat and one smart duck:)

Linda G. said...

GJ, Now we know where the saying, "lucky duck" comes from! I'm glad you liked it.

Changes, I liked the duck's perfect timing!

Jan said...

Linda..you're right..these shots are much too special not to share..so thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Talk about drama. Both were probably very hungry.

Mevely317 said...

Whew! ... This really had me caught up in the back n' forth -- cheering for the duck ... then horrified at the eagle's possible demise. Thank goodness they'll all live to joust another day!

Shammickite said...

Great story and photos.
I saw a mummy duck and ducklings being divebombed by a seagull in Lake Ontario. The seagull had it's eye on one of the babies and aimed at it with a huge splash, and when the seagull flew away, the baby was gone. Oh NO! Then the cute fluffy yellow ducking bobbed up and paddled off after it's mother as if nothing had happened.

Linda G. said...

Jan, You're welcome:)

Pat and Abe, two hungry eagles and one little duck!

Maverly, yep..who knows what dramas are going on out in the wild!

Sham, thanks for sharing your story! That instinct must be born ummm hatched into the ducks. Glad to know the baby got away safely!

Anonymous said...

I received the same email. It included this info:

A man by the name of Gary Wheeler captured some very interesting photos.
I'll let him tell the story in his own words,

Linda G. said...

Thanks Anon! I was so happy to be able to give Mr. Wheeler his deserved credit:)

Anonymous said...

Gary Wheeler may be the same Gary Wheeler who is the manager of the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center.


The e-mail also had this explanation before the pictures:

I was walking along the shore of Lake Tapps on Monday, and noticed a big
commotion a little more than 1/4-mile away (as measured later by Google
Earth). I saw a Bald Eagle circling and repeatedly diving on what I thought
must be a school of fish. Soon he was joined by another Eagle and they
began to fight each other for the prey. Territorial Eagle fights do happen,
but I've never seen one, nor have I seen any good photos...

Naturally, I grabbed my camera. The action was so furious and far away that
it was hard to see if I was getting any good photos. So I just snapped lots
pics and hoped for the best. I didn't quite realize what I was watching,
until I got home and looked at the pics on my computer. It turned out I had
photographed a three-way life & death struggle between two mature Bald
Eagles fighting over one very frightened duck! The Eagles fought each other
for several minutes while trying to get that duck! It was like WWIII in the
air!

All these pics were taken hand-held with my Panasonic FZ-28 at 18X zoom
which is 486mm. All pics were taken on Intelligent Automatic which is just
point-and-shoot. I had previously selected okay up to ISO@0 and it was a
bright day, which is as good way to force the shutter speed to 1/500 sec. to
1/1000 sec. for all the shots even though the camera performed everything
automatically.

Most of the images were cropped to a small fraction of their original size
which effectively multiplies that Optical Focal Length of 486mm by the ratio
of: original image width ÷ cropped image width. The action was over
1/4-mile away, and I ended up with effective Focal Lengths of well over
1,000mm for half the pics shown here, so they are not up to my normal
standards of image quality. Nevertheless, they are exciting and tell quite
a story...

Enjoy,
Gary

Anonymous said...

Those are terrible quality photos, especially from a "pro" photographer. And, the eagle was in no danger of drowning. They can swim quite well.

For photos of eagles swimming, etc.:

www.public.fotki.com/imagemaster/

Anonymous said...

I know Gary quite well and I'm sure he doesn't mind the showing of his pics he does want the credit. He isn't a profesional photographer or anything to do with Kodak he's a retired race car designer who just loves puttering about with his camara. He even agrees that they weren't the best quality on these but he wanted to share them all the same.

Linda G. said...

Anon, thanks for sharing the prologue. I've included it in the blog. I finally got it posted:)

Anon, sorry you are unhappy with the pictures.

Rich W. Thanks for the info from who knows Gary! I'm glad to have the reasurance that he doesn't mind having his pictures blogged here!

Anonymous said...

Gary Wheeler, the photographer, is not a professional, but an enthusiastic amateur who gets more than anyone has a right to out of his minimal equipment

He is a famous (retired) race car designer and aerodynamicist

Ironically, he was the Chief Designer for Dan Gurney's Eagle race cars

herocious said...

For the same breathtaking photo sequence, but in slideshow format for added suspence, check out http://theopenend.com/2009/03/27/two-eagles-do-battle-over-sitting-duck/