Friday, November 30, 2007

The Clarinetist

Oh dear! I'm getting behind in my posting. I know I've not perfected every day posting, but was trying for every other day. Now, I'm having so much fun going through old photos that I'm neglecting most other things! To make it worse, I'm trying to Organize them. That will take awhile, I'm afraid....And Christmas is coming..Christmas is coming....


I been meaning to post this. Here's Mom with her clarinet. She had trouble with breathing with the flute, too much air escaping somehow, so she and her teacher decided she would do better with the clarinet. She played it in high school so she was familiar with it and all breathing out air goes into the playing. She has been practicing diligently and having a lesson a week.


Here she and the girls practice together for their Thanksgiving performance. As you can see, Piglet and Roo are enthusiastic warblers, but Mu eventually opted out. She has many other talents, but since we quit singing B I N G O while traveling in the car, hasn't shown much interest in singing.


As I sort the pictures that represent milestones in my life and in the lives of my family members, many of whom are no longer living, I tell myself to appreciate now. While these are the pictures my children and grandchildren will be sorting in the days to come.. for me they represent the moments of my life, the time I spend with the people who mean the most to me..
You know, my computer has been acting up lately. I think I'll back up my pictures on disc before I do anything else!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. These are really nice photos and the story behind them is most interesting. Yes, once you get hooked into looking through old photos it almost never ends.

Mary Beth said...

We found a bunch of photos when my grandmother died and only some of them had been labeled. I think one of the most important things is to label who's who in the picture - even if I never met these people, they are still a part of me and, having heard some of them mentioned in passing, would love to be able to put faces to names. And that wonderful font of information is lost to us now.

Middle Ditch said...

My mother showed me a photo of an old lady ones. Before she could tell me whom she was I piped up (being only about nine) "I know her, I sat on her lap!" "You couldn't have", my mother said, "She died years before you were born". It made me wonder, was I here before?

Years later when my sister-in-law gave me her newborn baby to hold I instantly recognized him. It was my dad (dead for a few years) and he instantly recognized me.

Jan said...

Just seeing the photos, and reading your words, brought tears to my eyes.

Too often, we forget to appreaciate "now."

I want to try to do it more.

Linda G. said...

OldML, it does seem never ending..Mom came up with a whole box of old, unsorted photos a couple of months age saying she thought I'd like to have them..and of course I would!

Mary Beth, you really have a good point, and I'm going to be more careful of labeling..

Thanks for dropping by, Middle Ditch, and for your interesting stories. I have thought many times that one of my children is very like someone who died shortly before my child was born, but....I just don't know!

Linda G. said...

Hi Jan..your comment slipped in while I was answering the others..
Thank you so much for your lovely comment:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,
you are so lucky to still have your mother. What a lovely activity for her, playing the clarinet with the great- grandchildren singing.

meggie said...

I have a box of old photos, I have been begging the kids to take. I look at all the faded old snaps from the box Brownie cameras & note they are now sepia with age, & some are forgotten. I love the digital age, where we can label everything, & store it.
But, yes, I must get mine onto disc too, for the future!
I love your bright faced girls! And your Mother learning Clarinet! Good for her.

Linda G. said...

Thanks Olivia! They do have a good time..

I agree, Meggie..this is a great time for photos, for storing on disc and sharing online and email..
I have to laugh though at your wanting to send boxes of photos home with the kids as my Mom is still bringing me boxes she's unearthed..although I don't feel it, at seventy I'm still the kid:)

photowannabe said...

Yes please save your photos on disk. Because when they're gone, they're gone. I admire that mom of yours. Good for her taking lessons on the clarinet.