Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanks For The Memories

When I was a little girl, I had severe asthma. There was little hope of my getting better in Nebraska, so my Mom, a single, divorced parent, bravely took me to places that were supposed to have clean air. We would hop on a train and go to Colorado Springs, or Las Vegas, Albuquerque, or Prescott, Arizona. Mom would get a job and wait for me to start breathing. It didn't happen until Prescott.
My actual point here, is that it was just my young Mom and me in strange towns, knowing no one, but one thing was consistent, we loved the movies. And we especially loved the Bing Crosby Bob Hope road pictures, where they got up to their shenanigans in different, exotic geographical locations. We would go to the movies, see Bob Hope and then walk home in the quiet dark where the only light was pooled in circles under the street lamps . And we would sing..... songs like Buffalo Gals...gonna dance with the dolly with the hole in her stocking, while her toes keep a rockin'.....and her knees keep a knockin'...

When someone sent me this tribute to Bob Hope, I wanted to thank him for the memories so I decided to pass on the whole thing!
Who today, could possibly make American Troops feel appreciated like he
did?


Tribute to a man who DID make a difference



May 29, 1903 - July 27, 2003

  • ON TURNING 70 "You still chase women, but only downhill".
  • ON TURNING 80 "That's the time of your life when even your birthday suit needs pressing."
  • ON TURNING 90 "You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake."
  • ON TURNING 100 " I don't feel old. In fact I don't feel anything until noon . Then it's time for my nap."
  • ON GIVING UP HIS EARLY CAREER, BOXING "I ruined my hands in the ring ... the referee kept stepping on them."
  • ON NEVER WINNING AN OSCAR "Welcome to the Academy Awards or, as it's called at my home, 'Passover'."
  • ON GOLF "Golf is my profession. Show business is just to pay the green fees."
  • ON PRESIDENTS " I have performed for 12 presidents and entertained only six."
  • ON WHY HE CHOSE SHOWBIZ FOR HIS CAREER " When I was born, the doctor said to my mother, 'Congratulations. You have an eight-pound ham'."
  • ON RECEIVING THE CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL "I feel very humble, but I think I have the strength of character to fight it."
  • ON HIS FAMILY'S EARLY POVERTY "Four of us slept in the one bed. When it got cold, mother threw on another brother."
  • ON HIS SIX BROTHERS "That's how I learned to dance. Waiting for the bathroom."
  • ON HIS EARLY FAILURES " I would not have had anything to eat if it wasn't for the stuff the audience threw at me." <>
  • ON GOING TO HEAVEN "I've done benefits for ALL religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality."

Bob Hope's humor poked gentle fun at himself. It didn't depend on meanly cutting down another person. Maybe that's why he will always be loved and respected by those who remember him.

21 comments:

Granny Annie said...

Bob Hope was great but I think I would have loved to hear more about your and your mom's adventures. I felt like a really good story was building!

meggie said...

Yes, please tell us more of your travels & travails. Your Mum must have been a very courageous woman!
Nice tribute to Bob Hope.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I enjoyed it very much.

Linda G. said...

Welcome Granny Annie! I do keep meaning to write about my Mom and her sister and me settling here in Prescott. I've been too lazy to hunt up the old pictures..but I will.

Thanks Meggie, I'll get to it one of these days,,,

OLDML. I know you're you're in the generation who remembers Bob Hope. I'm glad you enjoyed the post:)

Thanks Cat:)

Changes in the wind said...

Great post and like the others look forward to more stories with your mom.

Mary Beth said...

Bob Hope's movies were so vivid you forgot they were in black and white. We saw one that had a penguin who wore pajamas and we would have SWORN the pajamas were red and white striped!

I cried at the cartoon at the top.

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

I concur with Mary Beth...we never forgot Percy the Penguin. The tributes were beautiful, thank you.

Chris Eldin said...

I saw you on Leigh Russell's blog.
Your mom sounds like a wonderful person. I wanted to hear more about your story as well...
I've always loved Bob Hope. He had such a genuine spirit.

And I LOVE the pictures your friend sent you from Alaska! They are priceless!!

Cheers,

Oh, AND I LOVE 'body shaped like Pooh.' hahahahahahahaaa (me too)

Chris Eldin said...

I linked you as Pooh, I hope that's okay!

Linda G. said...

Changes, thanks..I will do more posts about my amazing Mom:)

Mary Beth and Hey Teach...wish I could remember that penguin!!!

Church lady thanks for stopping by and for your nice comment..I'll be by to see you too..
I yam that Pooh shaped woman and that's who I yam:)

Anonymous said...

Hello Linda,

I am sorry you were an asthmatic child. I hope you are better today since you have never mentioned your asthma so far. Can one grow out of it?

One of my characters in the new thriller has spells of asthma. So I would like to hear more about it. Could you tell some of the problems you had as a child?

Lesley Cookman said...

The Road movies have always been among my favourites since my parents took me to see them as a little girl. Recently I bought a boxed set of four of them and they haven't dated at all.

I found you via Leigh Russell's blog - she and I are both crime writers.

And I agree, Adventures with My Mom has to be written!

Linda G. said...

Olivia, as a child I had asthmatic attacks. Asthma is a two pronged attack that causes the bronchial tubes to constrict and mucus to further plug things up. I spent about five years down and out and in the hospital etc. I reacted to the dust and pollens of the midwest so the move here to Ponderosa Pine forest and clean air worked like a miracle for me.

Leslie, thanks for stopping by, and for your nice comment. I'm looking forward to visiting your blog:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,

is it thinkable that a lady of 78 gets an asthma attack while she is locked in the sauna? Is this plausible?

If not I would have to change my plot! Thank you for answering me.

Joni said...

Wow!! What an adventure for you both. I would have loved to trade places with you.

Jan said...

Such a great post, and tribute, to Bob Hope!

I know I would love reading the stories about you and your mom, too!

Amber Cargile said...

What a lovely tribute to Bob Hope...but I enjoyed your story even more! I have an asthmatic daughter and we live just shy south of you in Anthem. Not quite the clean air of Prescott, but not quite the bowl of Phoenix, either. She does fine here, thankfully. Love Prescott and the mountains. What a great blog!

Linda G. said...

Thanks Joni!

Olivia, I'm going to try to email you at more length, but your scenario sounds absolutely plausible for an elderly asthmatic.

Thanks Jan!

Amber, thanks for stopping by and for your nice comment:) Anthem seems like a good location..I think the desert can be a good place for asthmatics, and I'm glad your daughter is doing well there I'll be by to visit you any moment now!

photowannabe said...

Terrific post. You are quite insightful. Great writing style.

Linda G. said...

Thanks Photo:)

Rowan said...

Lovely tribute to Bob Hope, really like the cartoons. He was a very special man. I'd like to hear more about your mom too:)