Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Day After

I just read The Old Sourdough's Oct. 31 post and wish I'd read it yesterday! I pulled my post to add this link as her advise is good for all year!!!!!!


Our Halloween was disappointing, because our street, once brim full of goulies and ghosties, was totally deserted last night. I had a bowl of candy ready, including something new that got me all excited..Body Parts Candy! Yes, eyes, fingers, feet, and teeth each in its own little wrap....perfect. This is the first Halloween I can remember that my children and grandchildren didn't launch their trick or treat excursions from an early Halloween supper here. So I was pretty bummed when I had no takers for the body parts that nestled so innocently among the M & Ms and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Then there was a a loud knock at the door, and who should we see but our neighbors who were not begging for treats, but delivering Halloween plates of spicy, warm from the oven, pumpkin cookies!




Under that tousled hair and makeup are our neighbors, the artists Roger Asay and Rebecca Davis. Granny J of Walking Prescott showed you their flagstone sculpture in her post of the Yavapai College Sculpture garden, mentioning how intriguing she found it, how many photos she had taken, and how hard it was to choose which to use for her post.
Roger and Rebecca are the heart of our neighborhood, hosting parties and potlucks that bring us together to keep us true neighbors rather than just a number of people who happen to live on the same street. They, of all the people I know, have the key to celebrating the moments of life!
Thanks you two, and the cookies are delish! I just had two for breakfast!

7 comments:

meggie said...

Good neighbours are true gifts to treasure! We have mostly had wonderful neighbours.

Rowan said...

How great to have neighbours who bring you lovely spicy cookies:) They sound the nicest kind of people. You're going to have to eat all those body parts yourself now! I'll just stick with the M&Ms and especially the Reeces Peanut Butter Cups - oh yum!!

Catalyst said...

The BRD has those mixed in with her Halloween candy, as well, but had a few more T&T'ers than you did, it seems.

The neighbors are a very fashionable looking couple.

Linda G. said...

Meggie, you are so right about neighbors! We are lucky that, with crowing roosters and now a honking/mewing peacock that ours don't ride us out of town on a rail!

Rowan, that candy is such a temtation! I plan to palm it off on the kids when they come in on the weekend, maybe save a little chocolate back as Christmas stockings are coming up and I seem to have gone pretty much overboard in the amount I felt we needed!

Cat, lucky you! I love to see the children in their costumes! I'll bet they loved the body parts..

Akasha Savage. said...

I love Halloween. We had a small party: all pumpkins, cobwebs and candlelit-rooms...I wish I could leave my house like this all year round.

PS My blog is revived!

Linda G. said...

Akasha, we used to have Halloween parties when the kids were little. Yours sounds beautiful:)

Anonymous said...

SOLB,
Just now catching up on the past few days in the blogosphere.
We, too, loved our visit from the Asay-Davis duo. Our granddaughter (our only trick-or-treater outside those two) wasn't sure what to think, but it sure gave us grownups a great memory.
By the way, YOU are the winner of my October Recycling contest, so would you let me know when I can hand-deliver your prize???
Katie cosmos