Friday, November 16, 2007

On the Road With Granny J.

Last week E. and I took a little jaunt with Granny J. and her brother Bill who was visiting from Perth Australia. As we were driving through Chino Valley headed North, GJ pointed out a photo-op and we wheeled into an old farm yard that has been converted to a rental company. An old building sported an adornment of rusting farm implements and other antique tools. GJ took a number of pictures.
I took this one.
I also took this one because this old saddle could be the same one I used on my old horse when I was a teen and he was my primary transportation in this same old farming community. See how deep the seat is, so the rider had a safe seat when riding hell bent for leather over treacherous ground one (or no) hand on the reins and one busy swinging a rope. Mine was old when I got it in 1953 and it was the most comfortable all day ride ever made. I've tried newer saddles since, and for me, they just don't measure up.

Our little trip took us into shaggy-bark juniper country. This juniper has a red and white, aromatic wood that burns slowly releasing a lovely fragrance. For years this tree was locally known as cedar. It makes great fence posts that don't rot out in the ground as pine does.
Eeyore and Bill leapt nimbly (well almost anyway) over the rugged malapai rock to stand on the point overlooking the confluence where Granite Creek flows into the Verde River. Granite Creek flows through Prescott and makes it's way Northward to meet the Verde at this point. The Verde meanders in a Southeasterly direction eventually flowing into the Salt River.
It was a little hazy that day, especially when looking back toward Prescott, because of smoke from a forest fire, the August fire, that was still smoldering to the South of town. You can click to see that this country feels vast and unsettled even now. Cottonwoods and new Juniper growth trace the path of the creek as it wends it's way down to the river.
When I find myself in this country the where wind whispers it's ancient song in my ear, I am caught in time. It could be 100 years ago, even 1000 years ago and the view down the canyon would be much the same. Or, maybe it's not the wind , but Puck whispering in my ear to remind me what fools we mortals be as we carry out our self-important mechanization upon the surface of the enduring earth.
Mary Beth of Cats....Books....Life is Good has tagged me for a meme, seven things about me. Thanks for thinking of me, Mary Beth. I'm thinking and it'll be my next post...

10 comments:

Joni said...

I see some marigolds still blooming there. No frost to take them? Very beautiful scenery.

Anonymous said...

It looks like you had a lovely outing, the four of you.
To me, living in Germany, the countryside and vegetation of Arizona looks very exotic. I like your photos, Linda. Thank you for sharing them with us.

photowannabe said...

Great pictures of the old farm equipment and the vast countryside you toured. We do have an amazing country.

Anonymous said...

Nice photographs. I especially liked your last couple and your words that went with it. Who knows who was there 100 years ago or as you said, 1000.

going green

meggie said...

A lovely post. Seeing that vast untouched by progress, field it is easy to ponder on our insignificance in the scheme of things.

Granny J said...

brain, it was a wonderful outing. Here's to many more of the same!

Linda G. said...

meggie, it does give things perspective!

GJ, we had a great time! You have the best ideas...What's next?

Rowan said...

There is a wonderful timeless tranquility in the photos of the area around Granite Creek and your words enhance this. I love the old saddle too.

Linda G. said...

Thanks Rowan:)

Anonymous said...

Wow! these photos are beautiful. It looks so lovely there. It looks as if you all had a wonderful time.