Sunday, November 18, 2007

A meme and Cable troubles

I tried to post yesterday, but right in the middle of my post the cable went out. I didn't notice this for awhile, so I happily went on typing. When I finally noticed that Blogger wasn't saving my post, I'd done quite a bit of it, and lost a lot of it. Well, I was annoyed and called Cable One to voice my disapproval. After navigating numerous recordings, I got a real cable guy.

"Mmmmm," he said,"there is an outage in Prescott, but you're address isn't part of it."

"It might be, " I said. "There's road construction just North of us. They may have cut a cable."

"No," I'm looking right at your modem and you aren't part of the outage. Please unplug your modem."

"Very well," I say reluctantly, "but I have to put the phone down. I'll be back."

"Eeyore, could you wheel out from your desk a bit? E's been absorbed in writing a letter. Absentmindedly, he wheels his chair back. I crawl under his desk, fish around in the dusty cords and cables, unplug the modem and crawl out again.

By now I'm panting and wheezing a bit from the dust. "OK, I say to the cable guy, unplugged."

"Alright," he says slowly and calmly in the tone reserved for very small children and/or blithering idiots, "you have two computers so you must have a router. Do you know where your router is? I need you to unplug your router."

I put down the phone, move E. again, crawl into the dim and dusty recess beneath E's desk and unplug the router. "OK, I wheeze into the phone, "unplugged.

"Please hold for one moment," he says still slow and calm, "I need to confer with my associate." I hold. He returns. "You're part of an outage," he says sweetly. "Your service will be restored as soon as possible. Have a nice day...and don't forget to plug your modem and router back in."

Thanks E, for plugging everything back in, bringing me coffee, and listening to my rant!
************************************

On to the the post I tried to do yesterday.


Mary Beth of Cats...Books...Life is Good has tagged me for seven things about me.

There are Rules:

1- Link to the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
2- Share 7 random and or weird things about yourself.
3- Tag 7 random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
4 - Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.



  1. I love to cook, and what I really love to cook are the comfort foods our Grandmothers prepared every day, but now we know aren't good for us. Pot roast with gravy and mashed potatoes, creamed vegetables with real cream and real butter, and pie..any kind of pie...well, you know! Of course, now E. and I are counting...carbs..sodium..fat..we count and measure it all. But Thanksgiving is coming....the time of the roasting of turkey is upon us....ahhh...the stuffing...the glowing ruby cranberry..the golden yam..the puffy homemade rolls, and the pies..the pies....but I digress..
  2. About five years ago, I discovered books on tape and CD. I listen to them as I go about the more mundane tasks in life, kitchen chores and cleaning. I pop in the tape or CD, stuff the buds in my ears and the player in that convenient place women have used to store things forever, and I'm off and running. Lately, I've been listening to Anthony Trollope. I've always meant to read Trollope, but just recently got around to it. His books are quaint and charming , a look at the social mores that made up British society in the 1800s....but I digress..

  3. Sometimes I think I'm losing my sight, but then I clean my glasses and the world brightens up again.
  4. When the movie Dirty Dancing came out in 1987 I was too scornful of the title to watch it. Four years later, one of my son's girlfriends persuaded me to watch it with her. I got hooked on that movie and watched it so often it became a family joke. One Mother's Day my children and grandchildren were all here. Someone announced there was a peculiar man at the door demanding to see me. I thought it was someone pedaling religion, irritably yanked the door open, and there stood a six foot, cardboard Patrick Swayze....
  5. I got my first job at age sixteen. If I count on my fingers, all the different jobs I've had and places I've worked I come up with twenty-eight. I wish it were a round thirty and sometimes think I should try two more jobs before I die. I always wanted to be a disc jockey, but never got to do that one, and it doesn't look likely now...would selling on eBay count as a new job?
  6. When I was about twenty-five, I took a correspondence course in fiction writing. In filling out the forms, I listed Winnie the Pooh as my favorite book. Then I stewed, worrying that the Famous Authors who would be grading my work would think me foolish. It's still my favorite book and at my age, seventy next July, I feel no need to apologize.
  7. I love old things(there are things older than me, well Mom for one), things with character and history....old kitchen tools, old furniture, old houses. When I sold Real Estate, I was always intrigued by the quaint old homes with their nooks and crannies and charming built-ins, and much less impressed with the enormous carbon footprint homes springing up on the hills overlooking town. Of course, the big homes equaled the big commissions....

Now to tag seven unsuspecting bloggers:

Changes in the Wind

Photowannabe

The Old Sourdough


Akasha Savage

Last Minute Lyn

Quilteddogs

Lydia

Do this only if you want to, I won't be hurt if you choose not to participate:)



Oh, and never-ever let anybody put you in a corner!

13 comments:

Changes in the wind said...

Since it is a short one I will give it a try:)
Thanks for the option of not participating.

photowannabe said...

Thanks for tagging me but I think I will pass for the moment. I was tagged several weeks ago and that will do for a while.
Great story about Patrick Swayze. You have a great family to do that.

Mary Beth said...

I laughed outloud at some of your items. Even now, I'm planning my part for Thanksgiving dinner - Mac & cheese with real pasta and real cheese:) And seriously, can anyone say no to Patrick Swayze when those hips start moving???

Changes in the wind said...

Loved your answers:) Hey I will come for dinner anytime you want to cook those comfort foods LOL

Judy said...

What is more *fun* than the guidance dispensed by call centers... although I must admit that having to crawl under my desk at least annually then causes enough guilt that eventually I poke the vac around in there and suck up the dust rhinos. So, did you have to talk to Nancy from New Delhi? Or Brian from Bangladesh?

I’ve been working more and more on photography, trying to learn the technical and business stuff I should know but don't (which is a lot), developing a line of postcards and greeting cards, and trying to get organized. As a result, blogging has been on the back burner.

I think of you, now and then sneak a quick look at your blog and what’s happening in your life, but for the most part haven’t been doing a lot of reading or commenting.

Thank you for sharing glimpses of your life with me. By the way, I am a lover of "old things" too. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, and I hope to “see you” soon!

Wiz’d Wiz’d

Linda G. said...

Changes, I'm looking forward to reading seven things about you! I'd be happy to cook for you anytime:)

Mary Beth, mac and cheese is the food I crave when the chips are down! When bad things happen mac and cheese makes a person feel a little bit better!

Photo, your daily photos are such a pleasure. We've all had fun with Patrick..the girls "dance" with him, he dresses up a bit for holidays, etc.

Wiz,
I was talking to a local technician, so language wasn't a problem, but communication still wasn't good. You're right about the reminder to vacuum in back of furniture! One does need those occasionally...

The line of cards that is evolving through your work as a photographer sounds interesting..no wonder you're absorbed by it! I'm looking forward to seeing them:)

Thanks for stopping by, and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for tagging me!! I accept the challenge...although I doubt my answers will be as interesting as yours.

Jan said...

I,literally, laughed out loud at your Patrick Swayze story, and wish I could have seen the expression on your face when you opened that door! :)

I enjoyed the photos in your previous post, too!

Linda G. said...

akasha, I'm glad you're going to participate! I'm interested in getting a glimpse of the lady behind that dark facade:)

Jan, welcome and thanks for stopping by! I think I was, for once, pretty much speechless after opening that door!

Anonymous said...

Hello Linda, I'll have my 7 answers down on my blog asap, after blogger clears up some dificulties I'm having with login issues. Thank you for choosing me. I also love old things. I love to mix antique Pieces with modern when I decorate a room.

Linda G. said...

Wonderful Lydia, I'm looking forward to learning more about you:)

meggie said...

I enjoyed this post so much!! I loved your answers, & loved the Patrick Swayze story. I love that movie too!
You could always count 'blogger', as a job! After all, you create it.

Linda G. said...

Thanks meggie! And counting blogger as a job is a fantastic idea! Only one more to round it out:)