Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Flower Lessons

Ha! you can now click to enlarge my pix.


This Moss Rose or Portulaca is much smaller than a real rose, but to my mind, viewed in this perspective, it's just as beautiful as any wild rose anywhere. I just wish I'd thought like a photographer and removed the brown, spent blossoms in the lower corner..


One time, I put a minuscule flower under the low power microscope. The flower was from a common plant here, a very small, lacy member of the Euphorbia family that spreads across the ground in the summer. The flowers look like tiny white dots, but when brought close to the eye, they have distinct petals so I decided to take a look.


Under the microscope that insignificant flower looks like the most lush orchid in the world! The petals appear fleshy, white and sparkling. the stamens rise from the center of the flower, a dramatic plum color tipped with perfect little hearts. It is one of most beautiful flowers I've ever seen.


I'll never forget that moment! Nor will I casually dismiss anyone or anything as insignificant again!

13 comments:

Katie said...

I love portulaca. I have two baskets of them this summer. :)

herhimnbryn said...

G'day from Australia.
Your blog is lovely and I like the idea of you looking at a tiny flower under the microscope and seeing it's hidden delights.

Love the pics of the skunk. Have not seen one before.

Linda G. said...

katie, portulaca is always such bright and reliable color..I haven't tried them in baskets yet..hmmm maybe next year..

Welcome herhimnbryn! We look at bugs under the microscope too... wish we had a camera for it..

You Australians have so many creatures that are different and interesting to us, but none so stinky as the skunk, I guess.

Catalyst said...

Absolutely exquisite. And I like the contrast of the bronze blossom in the corner.

Linda G. said...

Thanks, catalyst!

Granny J said...

I didn't get my portulaca until late this year, but there are some wonderful colors. I think I'll scatter seeds next April & see what develops! As for the tiny flowers, were those what are called rattlesnake weed? They are such pretty little plants.

Joni said...

I love the moss rose. They bloom endlessly don't they?

Sometimes big things come in little packages!!

Linda G. said...

gj, dunno! Thinking about their appearance, they could be. I'll see if McDougal has anything to say.

Linda G. said...

joni, yes they do. and their their color doesn't leach out in the dry heat.

Akasha Savage. said...

Thanks for visting my site and your comments. Your place is a much brighter one than mine! what wonderful photos.

quilteddogs said...

Now why couldn't I have found this when I was looking for flowers to photograph...sigh.

meggie said...

Portulaca are so very bright & suit a dry climate. They are quite hardy really.
I would have loved to see the little orchid like flower. I think digital cameras have opened a lot of eyes to the beauty around us.

Linda G. said...

akasha, but isn't that your point?
I'm looking forward to reading more of your wonderfuly dark writing.

quilteddogs, if I had a beautiful dog- friend like yours, I'd take his picture too.

meggie, I think so too. I love my digital camera, but it's old and I'm longing for a new one. I really want one for the low-power microscope too..ah..one can but dream..