Monday, September 17, 2007

The Robber Fly

Eeyore's been prowling about his tiny meadow with the camera and got a terrific shot of this guy! When he was growing up, he heard these insects called Fly Hawks as they can zoom through the air and capture a fly on the fly.....ahh....in midair.
They are more commonly known as Robber Flies and they love to eat flies as well as other insects. I, for one, am grateful to them for in any way reducing the population of those nasty, and annoying scavengers!
What's that bug has an assortment of assassin insects. Strange looking fellows indeed!

I do hope you click on this to get the full impact of his wonderful, furry, mask like face!


Omegamom and Catalyst have posted their memes, both fun and insightful, and a real bonus is the Half-Baked Sourdough who's added her own crusty version.

P. S. Katie at Cosmos has just responded to the memes with some thoughtful answers. I especially loved her super power.

15 comments:

Granny J said...

Bea-u-tiful shot, E. Next goal: catch him in the act!

Linda G. said...

gj, that would be too great!

Catalyst said...

Wonderful picture. A bit scary in the blown-up version but anything that eats flies is a friend of mine!

meggie said...

That is an amazing pic. I didn't care to see the blown up version, it really gave me the creeps! lol.

Linda G. said...

Cat, I'm with you-a dead fly is a good fly!

Meggie, don't blame you a bit..thank goodness they're very small!

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

I came upon your blog by searching Dick Francis...your name caught my attention since in our family we frequently refer to ourselves as "bears with very little brains"...i have had so much fun reading your blog and your favorites links (especially old man lincoln)...as for today's blog I am a NJ girl and nature in the raw is not my thing - YUCK!

Linda G. said...

Welcome hey teach!! Thanks for stopping by the OAW....we of little brains need to stick together! I've alwys loved Dick Francis. ..though I haven't read his newest yet.
Yup, this guys pretty scary considering his inch or so size.

Joni said...

Great picture- we have these guys here too!

Anonymous said...

Hello sheoflittlebrain,

thank you for stopping by on my blog. Would you like to participate in the tagging game that I took over froj Julie? I have tagged you and would sincerely wish you'd say yes.

Anonymous said...

Of course I meant "from Julie". Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Hello again,

scrolling down your blog I saw that you already took part in the tagging game. So I'll have to find someone else.
Three entries are enough now - no more.

Linda G. said...

joni, there seem to be versions of this fellow all over the world!

Olivia-thanks for stopping by the one acre wood! I enjoyed my visit to your site, and am looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, sheoflittlebrain,
I will be a regular visitor on your blog, too.

Shammickite said...

I had no idea that there could be flies who eat other flies, isn't that cannibalism? Or perhaps it isn't called that in the world of flies, there it's called DINNER.

Linda G. said...

ex-shammickite, you said it! It's a bug eat bug world:)