Thursday, September 13, 2007

Controlled Burn

If anyone has missed Granny J's amazing Tuesday Sept. 11, post of the horned lizard giving birth, pop over to Walking Prescott. I knew that our local horny toads gave live birth, but to see it is awesome!

I've added a link in my favorite places. The photography of Abe Lincoln at My Birds Blog is unexcelled and his commentary is interesting and informative.

Joni at My Piece of Heaven has tagged me with two memes. I'll respond tomorrow........

Yesterday, Eeyore and I were having breakfast outside. We had just remarked on the clear, rain washed air, when we noticed a dirty smudge among the meringue-like clouds blowing up from the South. At first we thought it was a Forest Fire, but it turned out to be a controlled burn.
Controlled burns are an evil we must periodically endure. The Forest Service burns off dry brush and dead limbs etc. to eliminate fuel for any real forest fire in the future. We drove out Iron Springs road to get a better look.

Seen from the steep road leading up to the mountainous community of Highland Pines, the smoke didn't look like much...

But zooming in for a closer look gave us the perspective of being in that wave of smoke,


and we saw it was heading right down town. Prescott lies in a basin just on the other side of our most notable landmark, Thumb Butte. T.B. juts up in the center of this picture, and the town is to the far left T.B, where the smoke has just started to settle. Many people complain bitterly when this happens, as it usually does what with the town lying in a hollow.That was yesterday, and today..well...
today has dawned bright and clear, and the sky is an unbroken blue..
Now..what to make of it.....

6 comments:

Granny J said...

Those pictures really tell the story of a nearby controlled burn. Very good! Last night as I slept, I should have dreamed of fires -- the entire house smells of wood smoke.

Granny J said...

...and thanks for the shout-out!

meggie said...

I loved that post of Granny J's! I went yesterday, & was amazed.
This post is very good. We have those controlled burns here in Australia too, at times. A necessary evil, if humans are to be allowed for.

Linda G. said...

gj, everyone should see those pix!

meggie better than a real fire for sure..we lucked out a bit the wind has been in the other direction..

Rowan said...

I suppose controlled burns are a good idea if they reduce the risk of forest fires but I'm glad I don't live in Prescott!

Linda G. said...

Rowan, when they do these burns, I always think of moving far, far away,but then the sky clears, and I forget about it.