Saturday, January 3, 2009

Trees

My Grandparents listened to a radio program called, I believe, The Bell Telephone Hour. It was an hour of music played and sung by the great artists of the day. One of the songs I remember was this Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918) poem put to music and sung by the deep and passionate voice of Paul Robeson.
There is much controversy about this poem. Published in 1913, it's arguably, not the best poem ever written, but for many people of my generation, it was a poem memorized and recited so often that it's woven into our very heart strings....we will cherish and defend it to the death!
Trees
I think that I will never see,
A poem lovely as a tree
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest

Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,

And lifts her leafy arms to pray;


A tree that may in summer wear

A nest of robins in her hair;


Upon whose bosom snow has lain;

Who intimately lives with rain.


Poems are made by fools like me,

But only God can make a tree.
This old pine that stands a little way from out back door offers shelter to any number of birds. Here a young Acorn Woodpecker works to store some tidbit in bark already riddled with storage holes. As you can see, there are still many uneaten acorns from years past tamped into place, but the urge to store and store and store is upon them. This fellow was hatched out in a hole inside a dead branch on this tree and he hasn't strayed far to fill his larder.
This pair of young Ravens were hatched high in the top of a tree at my Daughters, but they chose this tree for their daytime nursery. They would arrive fairly early in the morning and sit there all day alternately dozing and screaming for the tidbits dutifully provided by their hardworking parents. About four in the afternoon they would make their way back toward my Daughter's house. Maybe they still slept in the nest..
After about a week of this, they began flying from tree to tree, first one would fly and then the other would follow. At this stage, I noticed that a Raven would call out.."Caw-Caw." A second later another would answer, "Caw=Caw." Then one would say, "Caw=caw-caw-caw." The other would echo precisely. The parents teaching the offspring Ravenspeak? Was it a specialized twin language between the two young birds? I listened this summer and found that they did this a lot. Sometimes one would echo another and then send back a new series of caws which the first would then repeat. Maybe the repeat is a sort of verification..Ravenspeak for 'copy that.'
This sweet mother Mourning Dove brought her babe into the tree for a last feeding before dark, and this is the tree the peacock chose to roost in.
Enough rambling on........

12 comments:

Mary Beth said...

We have a tree that plays host to a family of squirrels, several dozen morning doves, and all the warblers that come through in the spring. It also casts tremendous shade over the back yard, which is wonderful in the summer.

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

Such a beautiful post. In this day and age of build, build, build, we take our trees way too for granted. The one thing I miss most about living at "home" where I grew up are all the huge old trees. Where we are now is too recently developed, all the old trees torn down and their replacements just don't have any majesty yet.

Granny Annie said...

I had a "thinking tree" when I was about 10 or 11. I could sit in the tree for hours and daydream. My youngest granddaughter visits now and climbs the cherry tree in our front yard. I look out to check on her and she is just sitting as high up as she can and looking up at the clouds. There is not a better feeling.

photowannabe said...

Lovely post of the world around you. I love seeing how life just goes on.
have a wonderful New Year and I hope its filled with health and happiness.

GEM said...

I love your bird pictures! The mourning doves & robins make a nest on the tops of the outdoor lights of my home each year. I love to watch the mourning dove parents teach their young to fly!

Judy said...

Great blog, glad you visited mine so that I could visit yours. I very much enjoyed the post about your mother and as coincidence would have it, my mother was also born on April 19 and my husbands father was born on April 19. Thanks for sharing so many nice thoughts and images.

Akasha Savage. said...

That's a beautiful poem...thanks for sharing.
:)

Shammickite said...

I live in a very old area of town, on a street lined with ancient trees. I curse them in the fall as there are so many leaves to rake, and my eaves get full of black leafy goo... but really I love the old trees. They give us shade in the summer and provide homes and food for so many species. But unfortunately they don't live for ever, and many have had to be cut down due to old age and becoming unsafe.

Linda G. said...

MB, we don't have any tree squirrels here on TOAW. I envy you watching their antics.

HB, it seems we live in an age that has no respect for trees..and little caring for the time it takes them to grow!

I used to climb a Linden tree at my Grandparents and sit in it like that..no better feeling:)

Thanks, Photo! I know what you mean..it's the little, every day things that make up our lives..

Gem, we don't have nearly as many Mourning Doves as we used to. I envy you having a large population to watch:)

Jarat, interesting about the birthdays! My Mom is the only person I've ever known who was born on that date! Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks, Akasha!

Sham, we are losing our old trees too, and nobody is replacing them. We've also lost much Ponderosa Pine forest due to a bark beetle and fire.

Anonymous said...

I miss the pines we had in Minnesota. And those maples in the fall. Stunning! If you ever get there, and want to see autumn glory at its finest, check out Northfield. Talk about a show.

Anonymous said...

The world would indeed be a sad place without trees. People should plant more trees especially the nut trees that take so long to grow but whose wood is perfect, and the nuts are food for a lot of animals.

Linda G. said...

OSD, it sounds beautiful!

Abe, you are so right. We should plant trees even if we know we will never see them grown. Others will reap the benefit..
I hadn't thought about nut trees. We have no native nut trees except black walnut in AZ that I know of, unless you count the oak. I wonder how they'd do in our mild four season climate..