Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Arizona Alpacas

A couple of months ago, in the outstanding company of Granny J. of Walking Prescott, we traveled the twenty miles or so to Chino Valley where we visited Singletree Farm. Granny J. had an eagle eye out for details regarding Alpacas and the wool made from their cold resistant fleece. There were yarn making demonstrations and lovely creations made from the wool. It was all lovely and beautifully described in GJ's post right Here.
As for me.....it was the beasties themselves that mainly attracted me. They were as amazingly different one from another, in appearance as people. The owner gave us some carrots and even Ee felt rather uncomfortably mobbed as he tried to dole them out fairly.

I wanted to get some close up pictures of faces. Like that cunning panda-face above.

Well maybe not quite this close up!

This one tickled us. Her eyes were completely lost in the depths of this luxuriant top knot.

With her flamboyant hairdo and her slender nose, one wonders if there's a poodle in her ancestry.....

This little lady was the only one willing to pose and was in most of my pictures. I see that GJ got one of her as well. She has a distinctive under bite, so can't be mistaken!
It was a lovely day, and if you're a knitter, be sure to look at GJ's pictures of all the luxurious items made from their exceptional, cold resistant coats.
In reading this, I hope you didn't detect a certain preoccupation. P. D. James latest novel, The Private Patient, just fell into my clutches, and the brooding figure of the published poet, Commander Adam Dalgliesh is about to enter a stage already set with darkly intriguing, well rounded characters, so I'm pretty well lost for the day.. Retirement's not so bad, even if one has to be old to enjoy it!

9 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Getting lost in a PD James novel sounds like an absolutely lovely way to spend the day!

Anonymous said...

I'm a handspinner and knitter. I have tried spinning everything from Kiviut to dryer lint to raw silk, but I've never tried alpaca. I'll bet it is luscious. mmmmm...

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

What a great way to spend a winter afternoon. I love the alpacas. They are very interesting looking animals. Each of them look like they have their own very distinct personality.

Granny Annie said...

We have often considered raising alpacas but a friend has llamas and their spitting irritates me to death. Do alpacas spit as much? Your pics are great. I also love P D James but haven't read anything recently. You are inspiring me in so many ways!

Linda G. said...

MB, you are so right and I know you speak from experience!

OSD, I believe alpaca is the warmest wool there is. Just what you need to combat that -30 global warming you've been experiencing!

Helen, It was a fun day. They did each seen to look and act differently!

GA, we saw no spitting. We used to want a llama too, but now would love to have an alpaca. Even if we felt we could take on new animals, the $$$ would stop us.
Thank you for what may be the nicest compliment I've ever had:)
You are the one who inspires me with your many accomplishments, artistic ability, and love of family!

photowannabe said...

Love your closing sentence about retirement and being old to enjoy it. Yes, I feel the same way. Love my time being my time....
Aren't the Alpacas the most charming animals? We fell in love with them when we went on a farm tour a few months ago. Such character and personalities.

Linda G. said...

Photo, I still feel a little amazed at not having to be out and at'em every day..
The alpacas definately charmed me:)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I so enjoyed this post!
We ha wanted to buy alpacas when we first started our farm, but they were too pricey for us, so we got llamas instead, which worked out because they make better guard animals for sheep and goats, and even alpacas, but also give fiber.

I do knit with alpaca, though, and it's soft and luxurious!
The alpacas there are very friendly. lol!

~Lisa

Linda G. said...

Lisa, I'm willing to bet that you will one day own an alpaca or two..you're just that kind of girl:)