Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Rose is Still a Rose..Isn't It?

When I posted yesterday, I meant to have a two part post. The theme being a rose by any other name.... but I accidentally hit enter and was published, so left it for today. Garlic is sometimes called the stinking rose, no explanation needed.
I wanted to talk about garlic because I have started eating a small clove of raw garlic a day to fend off colds and flu. I started this regimen on the advise of my daughter, who is interested in the antibiotic qualities of garlic, and suggested it after I'd been trying to fend off a respiratory tract infection for several weeks and was getting discouraged. Every afternoon I would run a two degree temperature, so I knew my immune system was working..it just didn't seem to have enough oomph to fight off the bug. After eating one large clove of garlic a day for three days, the fevers vanished and I started getting better. To benefit medicinally from garlic, it must be eaten raw right after a clove is minced or crushed. I like mine best on toast with some cream cheese but it can be sprinkled on any dish.
Here are some Cautions:

Raw Garlic is very powerful and should be eaten with other food and not on an empty stomach.
Too much raw garlic can cause injury to the digestive tract. (My thought..we have little friendly bacteria in our intestines...antibiotics tend to wipe them out and that's why we should eat yogurt any time we are on antibiotics.)
Garlic interferes with blood thinning drugs and shouldn't be used by someone taking one, nor should it be taken prior to entering the hospital for a surgical procedure.
I got this information from
Garlic Central and I'd suggest that anyone who is seriously thinking of taking raw garlic on a regular basis read all about it there.
Garlic's proven antibiotic property is called acillin and was seen to kill bacteria in Louis Pasture's laboratory as well as being acknowledged as an antibiotic by modern science.

I liked this garlic wreath. It's been said that the blood of garlic eaters has antibiotic properties. No wonder vampires avoid them. As for other social issues involving the stinking rose..I leave it to you. I try to eat mine late in the day. If everyone ate a clove a day, it wouldn't be a problem.

Garlic blossoms are pretty and popular with bees, although this is a garlic chive as are the white flowers in my header.

10 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Verra Verra interesting. I didn't know all that about garlic. I do love it, too.
My hubby is on Warfarin, which is a blood clotting medicine, so he'd better abstain, it seems.

I've heard of people eating garlic for health reasons. I might have to try this, too.
Can you sweat out the garlic odor, too?

I also have a friend who drinks a few oz of apple cider vinegar everyday for health, too.

Interesting stuff.

~Lisa

Gypsy Butterfly said...

Hello Linda, Garlic is so good for you! I was raised on it and practicly everything I cook has loads of garlic in it! It really adds a nice flavor to all different types of dishes.
I love the photos above!
Have a great day,
Lydia

Linda G. said...

Lisa, I'm afraid when you sweat, you sweat garlic. It's healthy though! I've heard of the vinegar and honey too..it's suposed to be good for you.

Lydia, I love garlic in cooking too. I love the recipes you feature on your site!

Shammickite said...

I enjoy the taste of garlic in lots of the dishes I cook.
I wonder what garlic ice cream tastes like, apparently it's for sale at the Gilroy garlic festival in California.

photowannabe said...

Fascinating stuff Linda. I love garlic, it makes everything taste great. There is a restaurant in San Francisco called The Stinking Rose. They say they "flavor their garlic with food". LOL.
When I worked the information booth at conventions in S.F. we would always send the attendees there. We could always tell the next day who had been there. Whew.
Thanks for the info on deleting the posted picture. I will try it next time it happens. Very kind of you. (:0)

Granny Annie said...

Too bad I didn't see this before I got this awful cold or whatever bug it is. Also, I wonder if I rub garlic on my computer would it fix the bugs in it? LOL I'll have to share this word with the rest on my ILYB link.

Anonymous said...

It is supposed to be good for colds or preventing them. Nice interesting post.

Linda G. said...

Sham, garlic ice cream! What the heck..I'd try it!

Photo, The stinking rose resturant sounds interesting. What the heck! I'd eat there!
And you're welcome, hope it works for you:)

GA...my computer could use some cure right now too! I've tried everything else...thanks for the link...

Thanks Abe! Hope you're still feeling well:)

Marla said...

Granny Annie sent me your way. I used to have my husband take garlic with his first battle with cancer. I use alot of garlic, I love it and I really don't care if I smell like a garlic clove. Interesting post!

Linda G. said...

Marla, thanks for stopping by and for your interesting commment! I'm with you.we should eat and enjoy our garlic and not worry about it:)