Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday Morning Meanderings

First of all, I have a retraction..My Best Friend is not afraid of snakes. She emailed me to that effect and I believe her because she is truthful and also pretty much fearless. I do apologize to her and think I must have transferred my own feelings to her. While I have handled quite a few snakes in my time, I still feel a little trepidation when doing so.
I remember when our youngest son was in about the fifth grade or so, he longed for a pet a bull snake. We lived in Chino Valley which was still rural and one day, just as I was driving to pick him up from school, I spotted a huge bull snake just stretched out between a cornfield and the road lying full length, parallel to the road. I stopped the car, walked confidently over to the five foot or so snake that just lay there in absolute cooperation, reached down..and just couldn't make myself pick him up!
We stayed that way for a minute or two, the snake motionless..me just as motionless with my hand hovering a few inches above his body just behind his head..finally he slithered away into the cornfield. I got in the car and continued on my way. I didn't tell my son until years later because I thought he'd be terribly disappointed in me...

Of course, I fell in love with this story of a mother duck who enlisted the aid of a policeman to save her babies that had fallen down a sewer grate She pestered him by tugging on his pant leg until enlisting his cooperation. This is a lovely story and makes you realize there's something going on in those little bird brains after all.

I know everyone's seen this photo before, but it's still cute.
Have a wonderful day............

7 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I have absolutely no problem declaring that I am terrified of snakes and really don't ever want to get close enough to see that they even have scales. My 5 year old kids would laugh at me when I taught but I didn't care if they thought I was a great big sissy - there was no way I was going anywhere near the reptiles.

There are so many times I feel like the yellow duck - mostly the same but just a little different and constantly saying, wait for me guys! And yet, out of all of them, he would be the one I'd take home.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I loved reading about your Bull Snake experience. That would have been me, too. I'm not really afraid of snakes. I love to observe them and don't freak out if one is close to me. But I really don't enjoy touching them at all.

Cute photo. It reminds me of the cliques in school. Odd guy out.

~Lisa

Changes in the wind said...

I had not seen the cute little picture before and LOVE the story behind it...........

Linda G. said...

MB..love what you said about the little duck..

Thanks Lisa! There's just something about snakes isn't there? I guess we've all felt like the little yellow duck sometime in our lives.
I hope you're feeling better today:)

Changes, wasn't that just an amazing story!

Shammickite said...

I like to say IU'm not afraid of snakes, but I think I am really. When I was in Australia, I posed for a photo with a big snake around my shoulders. I was OK for a while, but I could feel the panic rising and pretty soon it was GET.
THIS.
SNAKE.
OFF.
ME.
NOW!!!!
Love the duck story and the duck picture!

C. Marie Byars said...

Cute, cute, cute!

Linda G. said...

Sham, I know what you mean..no mater how you try..they can be scary!

C. Marie..Thanks for your comment:)