Monday, January 14, 2008

Settling in Prescott

When my Mom brought me to Prescott, Arizona in the summer of 1947, the little town, then population 6,000, already had a reputation for clean air and had become a mecca for those with respiratory disease. Like the rest of the country, Prescott was still in the grip of post WWII euphoria, and all things seemed possible.

I hadn't wanted to move, preferring the stability of my Grandparents home in Nebraska. I was finally persuaded to a more positive attitude when a map of Prescott and the surrounding area showed a place called Skull Valley just a hop and skip away. I was, as most children of that era were, a huge fan of western movies and radio programs. I pictured a wide valley strewn with skulls and myself accumulating a huge collection that would include cowboys and Indians as well as cattle, horses and an assortment of wild critters. Well, that part was a disappointment, but the breathing made up for it.

Now this is a little embarrassing, at nine years of age, I should have made some mental note that my Mom's sister, my Aunt Doris, accompanied us on the train journey from Nebraska, but when I asked my Mom when she joined us here, she laughed and said that Doris had been with us all along. I suppose I had my nose in a book and my mind occupied by daydreams as usual.

We found Prescott to be a pretty town with wide streets, set around a Court House square where bands played in the gazebo on special occasions. The statue of Captain William, "Bucky" O'Neil who rode with Theodore Roosevelt's Rough Riders is still prominently displayed in front of the Court House.


This is pretty much the way Prescott looked the day we arrived



This is the way it had looked in an earlier time, and I include this photo because it's fun to see Prescott not only with horses and wagons on the street, but streetcars as well..
The little building with the pinkish awning in the lower left corner was a Pigley Wigley Market for many years and it was there that we bought groceries in the early days.


At first the sisters rented a little house, but after pooling their resources and borrowing some money from a brother, they went house hunting. They looked at what was available, a series of nice little houses on tidy little lots. Nothing suited them. Finally the Realtor said he'd exhausted the possibilities in their price range.
"I do have one more I can show you," he said, "but I can tell you right now, you won't like it."
It was August in Prescott in the middle of the rainy season, now called the Monsoon season. (This amuses me because now days there is so much less rain and the word monsoon somehow conjures up a mental image of a tropical downpour.)
The Realtor parked in front of a tiny white shack during a typical afternoon rainstorm, meaning the sky had opened and water was falling in buckets while lightening split the air and the earth shook from thunder. Water had turned the road into a muddy stream that rushed down, past the cabin, to join the churning waters of Butte Creek less than half a block down the road.
A huge pile of granite boulders studded by an occasional tall Ponderosa pine, rose behind the little dwelling and the closer lightening strikes sparked blue on the rock.
What I remember best is my Auntie Doris joyfully crying out, "This is it! This is the one!"
The Realtor was completely nonplussed!
The adults in my life, somewhat incredulously to my nine year old mind, continued to extol the virtues of this wonderful place even after they had been inside to see the one huge room with various pots and buckets set about to catch the leaks pouring through the roof, the step down "kitchen" with the dirt floor, the added on "bedroom" that was the length of the big room, about twenty feet, and about eight feet wide. And most significantly, what wasn't there at all...a bathroom!
Thus, the thirty-something sisters who were totally lacking in carpentry skills or experience, embarked on a period of extensive remodeling, while I learned to climb and jump from boulder to boulder trying to imitate a mountain goat. It was a good time. Next time I'll post pictures of the remodel.

16 comments:

Changes in the wind said...

Ohhhh I love this! The pictures are wonderful...brings back sweet memories for me even though I wasn't born until 1948 I remember Prescott a lot different than it is today and Piggy Wiggly was my Grandmothers grocery store of choice but it was up on the truck route in my time.
the five and dime was on the main street and I loved to go there:)
What a beautiful picture of the courthouse. Can't wait for more:):)
and such a daring mom and aunt you have!

Linda G. said...

Thanks Changes:) I loved that old Woolworth too! And milkshakes at the drug stores, Rohre-Bloom and the Eagle..

Jan said...

She..I can hardly wait for the next installment!

I wish I could move to Prescott right now..sighhhh.

I love your stories! :)

Olivia Kroth said...

How adventurous, your mother and aunt remodeling a house and you jumping from boulder to boulder.
The photos are so nostalgic, showing the "good old times".

Old Sourdough said...

Sigh... sounds like when we first moved from Alaska to Utah when i was 6. Those memories are still so fresh. We were lucky kids, huh, She? (P.S. My mom and my sister were/are both named Doris...)

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

What great memories. How brave the sisters were, though I do see the no bathroom as a bit of a problem.

Chris Eldin said...

I can feel the spirit of adventure in your words. How exciting and inspiring that your mother and aunt embarked on such a journey!
I also can't wait for the next part!!!
I adore the West. It pulls me. I wish I could just pack up and go....sigh

Anonymous said...

I like to read and I prefer reading stories that are, as they say, "well written." This is a classic example of that but it is rare these days so it was, to me, a great piece of literature for 4:30 a.m. Thanks for that. You can write.

I am also intrigued... who had the breathing problems? Don't forget to tell us the now population. I think Prescott is bigger these days.

The first time I went to Tucson, that city was really small. One main drag with the air base on it and downtown was two or three blocks long from the old bus station and YMCA to the main street. There wasn't much else there. I think Prescott was even smaller.

I posted a link this Tuesday morning about Charley. It is also a good writer, and photographer, telling a unique story all the way from a cabin in Wyoming.

Linda G. said...

Jan, it was wonderful then, quite different now. Although those moving here now see it as small town:)

That's it Olivia, things were
different then..

OldSD, a kinder, and much simpler time all right..we were lucky:)

Oh Church Lady..the west is taming down and drying up, drat it all, and I've been envying your adventures..moving to a beautiful rural area..you have a pond and a tractor..sigh...

OldML, thanks for the kind comment!
I was the asthmatic kid who went from practically bed ridden to mountain goat in one summer:)
I've been following Charley's adventures via the Church Lady. It's a beautiful place to visit. I'm glad you linked to it so more folks can enjoy the wonderful writing and lovely pictures there!

Linda G. said...

Hey Teach, I often think I could give up most modern conveniences to return to that simpler time, but trips to the outhouse would be a drag. Luckily, that was the first thing the sisters addressed, so by winter we had an indoor bathroom.

Joni said...

Those are old postcards right? I have a few that look like that but of differnt cities. I love old postcards.

I enjoyed your bird post. Everyone seems to have the birds in the winter but me :(

Mary Beth said...

My mother felt the same way when she saw our house and regardless of all the gloom and doom from her father and brother, she and my dad went ahead and bought the house. Over the years the ceilings fell just like her father said they would, my cousin put his foot through one of the stairs, and the roof leaked, yet she was right -that was her house.

meggie said...

Love this post! Could just picture your Mother & your delighted Aunt!
Look forward to reading more & seeing pics.

Granny J said...

When's next time, huh, huh???

Linda G. said...

Joni, right you are, and I have to admit that I have them only because my DH collects old post cards of this area.

Mary Beth, your Mother sounds like a kindred soul, loving the old, the quaint, a place with history and atmosphere..

Thanks Meggie, I wish I had your ability to recall the past:)

GJ, dear friend,:)s

Rowan said...

I've so enjoyed reading this post, the photo with all the old cars lining the street is just how I imagined America to be in the 1940s. Hope we shan't have to wait long for the next instalment!