Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Bird Feeder

I've been inspired by Old Man Lincoln at My Birds blog and by Olivia who has been posting some wonderful pictures, information, and quotes about the birds at her feeder in Germany, to post some pictures of some of the birds that come in to my feeder.
We've always fed the birds with cylinder shaped feeders at the top of tall posts very close to a huge old cypress tree. The birds like this, because they can fly into the protection of the tree to check everything out for safety before feeding.
One day, I remarked to Eeyore that I longed for a flat bottomed feeder closer to the living room window, so we could better observe the birds, and that maybe I could get some photos through the window. Down to his basement workshop he went, and before long, appeared with a flat bottomed feeder made from scrap wood, a piece of old plastic window screen and some chain. He hung it from a pole right outside the living room window, we put an assortment of seed, sunflower seed, peanuts, and Niger into it and it's been a circus ever since. The only problem is that the seed gets wet on the rainy and snowy days, so the next project may be some kind of roof. Wet or not, they still flock to it all though the other feeders are filled and they could choose those. We clean and fill it every day so any seed that escapes a hungry bird, (fat chance) won't spoil or sour.

I've been lurking behind the living room curtain trying to catch some pictures, and sometimes the birds see me and fly away in a flurry of fear, but they're soon back. Some see me and just go back to eating, like this little female finch. Note, I don't say what kind of female finch because I'm not sure at the moment.. they look very much alike. I thinnnnnk this is a female purple finch.


This little darling falls into the category of Dark Eyed Junco.


Here, a Spotted Towhee faces off with a female White Crowned Sparrow, while a Junco looks on. I simply can't get a good picture of the Towhee. He never stops moving.


The Purple Finch is a fairly recent visitor and here a trio of males seem to be enjoying the feast.



And who says birds are so different from people? Even when a bird has the feeder to itself, it can't resist checking out what's going on underneath. Could the birds picking up spilled seed on the ground be getting something better?


Is the grass greener down there? Or the seed tastier, as the case may be. Is this the same instinctual question that drove our ancestors to embark on tiny ships on fearsome seas or covered wagons headed into hostile territory looking for something better?
Or is my imagination running wild yet again?
I just got back from Changes in the Wind and laughed hard at her Cockatoo video posted on the tenth of January. If you have a minute and want to see an amazing bird, this is the place!
The kids are coming in today... what a good excuse to bake some cookies on this chilly morning!

14 comments:

Olivia Kroth said...

Thank you for linking to me today, I feel honored, Linda.
Your husband is very inventive to have made this hanging birdfeeder himself.
You have different types of birds in Arizona, have seen none of them over here. They are all interesting, but I like best the three merry Purple Finches with their red caps on.
Could those looking down be cautiously watching whether a cat is stealing up to them? This is the first thought that came to my mind.

Lovely photos - thank you for sharing them with us!

Catalyst said...

Very nice photos, Brain. Made me think of buying (certainly not building) a bird feeder for my window.

Linda G. said...

You're welcome, Olivia:) Your posts have been delightful..
There were birds all over the ground when these guys were looking down, but who really knows what goes on in a bird brain?

Thanks Cat! A feeder like this is fun, I do think you'd enjoy it:)

Old Sourdough said...

I really miss the variety of birds we used to get on the feeders in Minnesota. (Not badly enough to want to go back though, even though it was -7 this morning when I got up, and the forecast says -25 tomorrown night...) :o(

The snow buntings and chickadees are out in force on the feeder, though, so there are a few little twittering acrobats to watch.

Granny J said...

Yesterday, we had a raven couple who were either shopping for a nest location in the nearby pines or on the lookout for twigs for said nest. Today, I've seen few signs of ravens, which is curious. You're getting some mighty fine bird pictures, BTW!

Jan said...

Wonderful pictures, She! :)

Lucy said...

How lovely, well done for your patience getting these. I like it that in your part of the northern hemisphere the birds are often similar to but different from those we get in Europe, or sometimes have the same name but are something else, like robins and goldfinches.
It was a long time before we persuaded the birds to feed here, they just didn't seem to understand that human habitation meant something to eat. Then in a really cold snap a little while back, a few started coming into our lean-to barn. We put food out, one or two cottoned on and then they all did. As it's under cover, it doesn't get wet, but the stuff we've stored out there for the winter is getting well messed on!

Anonymous said...

If you have a Tractor Supply store in your area they have these round pieces of metal with a small hole. A bolt with a hook goes in and is threaded onto a nut and another bold with a hook is threaded into that. It is about $14.00 worth of metal. I got two of them. They are meant to hang up on something and something to hang under them. So they made an excellent squirrel proof thingy. But they also serve as a kind of roof over the seed in the tray your husband made.

Thanks for the kind link and comments you made about me and my photos.

I see you have a wide assortment of birds there. You have House Finches, and you have a White Crowned Sparrow and Some Juncos and I forget the rest. Our birds have, for the most part, gone south for the winter, I guess as they are not around here. I think my hawks are following them as they are as scarce as a two dollar bill.

You have a nice blog and an interesting one.

Changes in the wind said...

Hi there, thanks for linking to me in you post...great pictures:) I have these same birds at my feeder but then we aren't that far apart.

Linda G. said...

OldSD, we've had chickades, but never a snow bunting! I'd love to see one:)

GJ, you're up and running! Goodie!
I haven'tseen much of the ravens lately. Guess it is about time for them to be scouting for nest locations.ahh spring..

Thanks Jan:)

Lucy, thanks for stopping by:) It's interesting how our birds are often similar, yet a bit different than yours.
Know what you mean about the mess. We have a wood glider close to this feeder. I looked out the other day and realized that it's going to be a clean up project!

Hi OldML! I often think taking photos of birds is a bit silly when one can look at your photos:)
Thanks for the tip for a roof. I don't think we have a John Deer store here, but I'm sure I can find one online.

Changes, that cockatoo video is too funny! I guess our bird species are about the same. I wonder if you have Inca Doves?

Mary Beth said...

Your pictures are wonderful. We set up a couple of feeders to provide entertainment (through the glass) for our cats but were pleasantly surprised by how much enjoyment WE get from our visitors. We have expanded to include some planters full of squirrel food for our grey friends because I really love watching them! We are definitely the wild-life friendly yard in the neighborhood.

meggie said...

Thankyou for sharing these bird pictures. They are so lovely, & we dont see any birds like this here in Oz.

Linda G. said...

Thanks Mary Beth! I'd love to see the birds and squirrels at your feeders. I'm sure you get an interesting variety of birds that are not seen here..

Meggie, thanks for your kind comment, but I think of the birds around your house and turn green with envy!

Shammickite said...

Lovely pictures. It's so nice to see the birds feeding on your dinner offerings!
I have a couple of feeders in my back yard but there doesn't seem to be so many birds around this winter.
There's a pile of blue jay feathers on the ground just under the big pine tree, so obviously someone large had a nice dinner the other day.