Wednesday, January 30, 2008

In Which Things go Bump in the Night

As the days grow longer,
The cold grows stronger.
quoted by my Great Grandfather,
Nebraska farmer

Good Grief! I hope all words and no pictures don't make solb too dull an old girl! I've been approaching my problem from different angles. The good news is that, after a lot of routine maintenance and getting rid of all but my Microsoft toolbar, the efficiency of my computer has improved. Cable One has been out here at least three times in the last few months, but Owl, Tigger, Eeyore, and I are still experiencing slow Internet service and I think that's where my problem lies. Something needs to be fixed rather than patched up. I called asking to speak to the head person in dispatch, but she didn't return my call. I will try again today to discuss the on going problem with her. She can send a patch-it-up-again tech or a track-down-the problem-and-fix-it tech. She has a lot of power.

Like all Arizonians, I've been thrilled to have actual precipitation! But I seem to be getting maudlin with old age as I keep thinking about all the poor creatures trying to stay alive in the bitter cold.
Although there are a number of better roosting places here, including some old horse stalls, the peacock insists on sleeping totally exposed on the roof peak of the little guest house/empty rental in back. By dawn's early light, we peer out the kitchen window to see him painted frost white or encased in ice, enduring still.

The other night, we were side by side in our recliners watching a DVD of the set-in-Scotland series Hamish Macbeth (could any of us, when young ever imagine becoming such stereotypes?) , when it sounded as though someone was repeatedly trying to force open the side door of the house. E. put a finger to his lips and quietly padded into the bedroom returning with his pistol. In the near half century I've known him that's the first time I've ever seen him do that.
I followed close on his heels as he went to the door, flipped on the outside light, and peered out. Nobody. He opened the door and there were about five Javelina milling about under the bird feeder picking up spilled seed and knocking over nearby pots of plants.
We keep seed in one of those big plastic containers that doubles as a bench and I think they must have been rooting at that, banging it against the house. They looked pathetically hungry and sad, and it took a lot of will power on my part not to put food out for them. I know that feeding them now would bring them back in the summer to munch my tomatoes and flowers, so I resolutely turned my back on them, but still....
Ahh..right now, through my window, I see blue skies thinly hazed by swirling pinkish clouds. A new day's promise...

16 comments:

TomboCheck said...

I had no end of trouble when I was with cableone. We moved out to Chino valley, and our service went right out the door. We were constantly getting disconnected, slow speeds, sometimes we couldn't get access to our email. It was a mess.

So after them having me reboot my modem for about the hundredth time, I decided to ditch them and go with Qwest DSL. Not only did qwest come out and fix a problem with the wiring to our house for free to get us up and running, but they were cheaper than Cableone to boot!

Animals out in the cold used to bother me a lot. Now, not so much. It may be cold to us, who are used to being in constantly climate controlled environments for most of our lives. To them; maybe not so bad. Especially in Arizona winters (where it never goes below 0).

Just my .02, hope you figure out your internet woes!

Linda G. said...

Tombocheck, thanks for stopping by and for your comment! My kids have gone with Quest DSI and they like it. We're thinking very strongly of making the change, so I really appreciate your input:)
I know you're right about the animals! I'm getting very maudlin and am afraid I'll soon be drooling in my oatmeal!

givethemhell said...

PEACOCK WRAPPED IN ICE
TURQUOISE AND WHITE FEATHERS ON
THE ROOF FREEZING

Mary Beth said...

I always feel for the animals living outside. At our old house, we would put out food for the raccoons (the outside cats we called them in mixed company so our neighbors and landlord wouldn't get upset) including lollipops and hard boiled eggs. One day, we saw five of them - 3 babies just climbing the steps and the parents waiting at the bottom. It was just like halloween where the parents send the kids up to the door - they were trying to tell us to feed them early. And everyone knows, no one can say no to a cute baby, furry or not!

Linda G. said...

Givemhell, a beautiful and sadly appropriate haiku:)

Mary Beth, I read your comment to E. and we both had a good laugh at the picture of the parents sending their kids up the steps for treats..a cute story!

Catalyst said...

You can go to speedtest.net on the Web and do a test to find out what speed you're actually getting. Compare it with what you're paying for and then make a decision.

Linda G. said...

Wow! Thanks Cat:)

Changes in the wind said...

I went from a dial up to cox and have never looked back. It cost more but is so worth it.
It is hard to turn your back on the animals but you are right..they will come back.

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

Being from NJ I had no idea what a Javelina was so I googled and was enthralled. The picture I found was really cute (I am sure you do not agree since they eat your tomatoes). I know I would have succumbed and adopted them (see Mary Beth's comment :) )

Linda G. said...

Changes, I remember dial-up! Is cox cable or satellite?

Hey Teach, they are cute! I can't be too angry with them even after they ate all my tulips:) People who feed them find them pretty invasive after awhile, and the old males boars?..they aren't pigs.. have tusks and can be aggressive.

Linda G. said...

Changes, I remember dial-up! Is cox cable or satellite?

Hey Teach, they are cute! I can't be too angry with them even after they ate all my tulips:) People who feed them find them pretty invasive after awhile, and the old males boars?..they aren't pigs.. have tusks and can be aggressive.

Changes in the wind said...

Cox is cable...........

Granny J said...

I figure that between the two of us and maybe Tombo & Cat-A, we're educating the outside world about javelina! Sure hope you can get your computer problem(s) figured out! I know you've got some good stories awaiting pictures!

TomboCheck said...

HA! I remember growing up i was terrified of javalina.
Now I just look at them as funky pigs that are easily irritated. I bet they taste good like pig too...

meggie said...

Having seen Granny J's pics of Javelina, I would never feed them either!
I never knew such a creature existed, & we here in Australia, have been very intrigued to learn of this animal.

Linda G. said...

Thanks Changes:)

Tombo, this neighborhood was just becoming invaded when we moved here.

GJ, I keep forgetting some people don'd know about pecary! I think my problem has to do with my antivirus program.

Meggie, it's folly to encourage them, but lots of people do it. I'm hoping some of our new neighbors (new subdivision) up on the hill will encourage them to go there!