Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Peacock update


I've been trying to get a photo of the peacock, now known as Raja, but he remains elusive! This picture is of a peacock just like him although Raja's tail is not quite that long. It has grown a good deal since he arrived in full molt, and I think it should be this long in a month or so.

He seemed more trusting for awhile and was coming up with the chickens when I went out to throw special treats, but something has frightened him back to his old elusive/reclusive ways.
He's great fun to watch though. About four-thirty in the afternoon, he strolls casually up to the back and stands carefully looking about. When he feels unobserved, and oblivious to us watching from the window, he lifts his wings and in a graceful sort of fly/hop lands on the crest of the little house in back. He spends about half an hour pacing about the roof craning his neck up and eying the pine trees that are close, but not close enough... Sometimes he settles down on the ridge of the roof, tucks his head under his wing, and sleeps the night away but sometimes he does another fly/hop up to our roof where he beds down at the highest point he can find.

I think he likes it here because it's as close to wild as he can be and still have peacock food and fresh water provided for him. E. has also found him perched in an old stall, out of the wind on a blustery day. He just doesn't trust it for the night..well, I have heard coyotes lately.

So much for resolutions..

I got up early yesterday intending to post. I resolved to post every day, right? Right....
Our Cable One service was out.
Remembering that my most important resolution was to remain positive, I decided to write overdue snail-mail-letters.

Firstly, I thought I'd write to my Uncle, my Mom's older brother who sent us a lovely Figi parcel of smoked turkey and ham. An overdue thank-you to a lovely man. Remembering that my Mom had mentioned he was reminiscing about the pet pig he'd had as a boy, I thought of a picture of him with that pig. I started looking...

I'm still looking.... I think he'd be very pleased to see that photo.. I know it's there somewhere in the boxes and envelopes and zip-lock sorta-sorted packages. It's there and I will find it.....gotta organize those pictures!

13 comments:

Catalyst said...

Aren't peacocks terribly noisy?

Linda G. said...

Cat this one has been quiet so far, but we're told from April to August they scream loudly for a mate..
Our poor neighbors have born the crowing roosters bravely, but I don't know what they'll say about the peacock..

meggie said...

My friend in NZ, Ali Honey, -in my sidebar, if you wanted to visit- has a resident Peacock, who just turned up. I do believe he is very noisy when the humour is on him. I have heard they mate for life, so if their mate goes missing, they must mourn loud & long.
They are very beautiful though.

I have trouble organising the photos on my computer! I have let them get out of hand- which doesnt sound right somehow.LOL.

At present we have lots of Sulphur crested Cockatoos screeching in an ungodly fashion!

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

Even if they are noisy, I think it's so cool that you have a peacock. Good luck finding your picture. It's been 9 months since we went to England and I still haven't downloaded all my pictures yet. I have to do it soon before I forget everything.

Olivia Kroth said...

Your resident peacock likes his Hotel Mama. That is a compliment to you.

Granny J said...

I am reminded that the last time the Aussie Bro was here, we did a lot of sorting of old family pix. Now I don't know where I stashed a couple of the categories. So much for organizing one's world!

Anonymous said...

This should be a special bird soon. With tails that broadcast emotions for all to see. Nice photo.

Linda G. said...

Meggie, thanks for telling me about Ali Honey:) I'm going there right away. I would love to have Cockatoos! It would be wonderful, no matter how noisy they got!


Hey Teach, I guess part of his charm is the fact that he chose to come to live with us and has chosen to stay on the one acre, although he spends some time sitting on the fence contemplating my Daughters tall trees.

Thanks Olivia:)

GJ, I seem to be the keeper of the photos. My cousins send me all of their old photos of my mothers family since they have no children.
I'm about to pass a passel off on my other cousin--hee, hee

OldML, I hope to look out to see him all fanned out one of these days!

Changes in the wind said...

I see myself in you for sure...totally distracted and all for a good cause:):) Hope you find the photo:)

Old Sourdough said...

The same resolution I make every New Years Day: Don't make any resolutions. LOL! It's the only one I've been able to keep!

photowannabe said...

Peacocks are beautiful but noisy. How nice that this one has chosen you. Hope you can see those feathers fanned out soon.
I don't make resolutions because I can't keep them and then I'm filled with guilt.
Have a great day anyway.

Linda G. said...

Changes, yes-easily distracted and off on wild a goose chase! That's me!

OldSD, you are so much wiser than me!

Photo, see above:) I hope we get to see the tail unfurled one of these days..

Ali Honey said...

Thanks for coming over to visit re our Peacock.He has been here since Nov 2006.He is now very much in residence. He "Yells," at EVERY other loud noise he hears.Runs along beside the tractor, hangs around for treats when we are working . Our small old black cat is very jealous but can make the big bird back off.( quite funny to watch! )We are still wondering where he really belongs.We saved all his wonderful feathers when he moulted.