Friday, January 25, 2008

Ravens

I still can't get photos to upload. Yesterday I tried it on E's computer, got one to upload, and that was it. Nevertheless, I'm beginning to think my computer may have something to do with it all.

I popped in on Walking Prescott where Granny J has posted some wonderful Raven pictures, so I'm going to piggy-back on her pictures and tell you my Raven story.

When we first moved here, we could see a Raven's nest on the very-top of a huge pine tree behind what is now my Daughter Kanga's house, next door. The birds nested there for several years and we enjoyed watching them through binoculars as they raised their young.

This house is built on two levels. The upper floor being on street level in front and downstairs in the back, it's a walk out basement. One day, I was outside on the upper level when a Raven winged across the back at eye my level and close enough for me to identify the object in it's beak as a hamburger, bun and all. He flew in a straight line, then rose to deliver this tidbit to the nest. I was pretty much amazed at the time, partly because he could get his beak around a hamburger and partly because it was a hamburger, but now I know that different Ravens have different dumpsters staked out all over town. I think this must have been the Burger King Raven.

It was after this incident that my job took me out to drive thhrough deserted streets on a dawning Sunday morning. I was driving past the local High School just as a McDonald's bag dropped from the sky to land on the pavement in front of the car. Automatically, I swerved to avoid hitting it, thinking of course that, "Now that's pretty strange!"

The mystery was solved when, a short time later I retraced my route and saw several Ravens working on the bag. I thought of the way crows and other birds drop shell fish on rocks to break the shells open so they can get at the meat inside. I'm convinced the Ravens were trying that tactic to get into the contents of the bag.

It was a couple of years later when I sat in the car in the shade of some Cottonwood trees, in the High School parking lot waiting to pick up my Grandson. I had the three little girls with me, and when we'd exhausted the delights of BINGO and a few word games, I told them about the McDonald's bag Ravens and ventured the opinion that they must have been the McDonald's dumpster Ravens.

A few minutes later, we opted for some leg stretching. I stepped from the car, and hearing throaty Raven voices above me looked up into the trees. There were seven or eight Ravens, hopping about in the tree branches, and they were surrounded by McDonald's bags that had become trapped in the tree branches!

Now I'm wondering if they're still there. I'll let you know.


.

7 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Now we know that the McBurglar should not be in a stripey suit but rather black feathers! At the shore, the gulls LOVE the backyard BBQ's. I've seen them go by with full size steaks in their beaks that they've grabbed from someone's grill:)

Olivia Kroth said...

That is a funny story. I did not know that ravens can be junk food addicts. I hope you will be able to show photos soon.

Granny J said...

Of course, the raven is our civic bird -- my favorites are the guys who nest out in plain sight on the East side of the county building down at the Square. Though I knew that they had staked out all the food selling places in town, I've never seen one with a full hamburger. The McDonald's tree would be quite a sight.

Jan said...

I love this story, She..ravens sound like amazing creatures!

Now, the story about the Prophet Elijah being fed by the ravens makes even more sense!

The bible says that God told him to go to a certain place to hide from Ahab, the wicked husband of Jezebel, and that the ravens would feed him there!

It's the first thing I thought of when I read your story! :)

Anonymous said...

This was a nice post. Very interesting.

Linda G. said...

Mary Beth, the picture of a Gull flying by with a whole steak just tickles me:)

Olivia, I wonder how the Raven's cholestrol level is!

GJ, I'm going to go over to check that tree out! That was about eight years ago, but who knows?

Jan, thanks for the Bible story:) I wasn't familiar with it, but it's a great story and I believe the birds could do it! I wasn't familiar with the name Ahab in the Bible either..interesting..

OldML, Thank you:)

meggie said...

I think birds are incredibly resouceful creatures, & very clever. I hope the junk food is not as damaging to a bird, as it is to a human!