Monday, October 1, 2007

A trip to Granite Basin

At the same time my instincts toward domestic engineering overcome me in the fall, Eeyore seems to wax nostalgic. Each year we make a pilgrimage to Granite Basin Lake (about a twenty minute drive, but a pilgrimage nonetheless) where he rambles about just soaking up the vibes and reliving his childhood.
His father often took E. to Granite Basin on summer evenings where they would fish away the magical twilight hours, returning home well after dark with Blue Gill and Catfish for supper. Unless too much water was running over the top of the dam to make sitting there too wet for comfort, that was their favorite spot. Now of course, there is not only a railing across the dam, but access to the dam has been completely fenced off.


The water level is at an all time low here, and a few waterfowl are gathered
in a depressed looking group on a muddy bank across the lake
For me, it reinforces the knowledge that, no matter how great the summer rains seem, they are still quite meager when compared to the rainfall in the past. We all need to be aware of our personal water usage and to urge our public officials to consider the welfare of our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren before giving permission to developers to pump water straight from the aquifer to keep lawns or golf courses green for "only five years" until they have enough effluent to do the job. When we moved to the One Acre Wood almost 25 years ago, our renter was carefully hoarding any cold water that ran from the tap before hot water ran out. I do that now and use the water for my house plants. Oh dear! A rant! Ahemmm..
A couple of years ago, Granite Basin looked much better, although water was far from spilling over the dam. Clicking on these gives you a better feel for this magical place.




In her book One Last Frontier, local resident and author Pat Savage tells that this basin was a natural catch point and there was a little lake here prior to the dam being built. She said that in the fall, several different tribes of Native Americans gathered here to feast, trade, and socialize. I pulled her book from the shelf, but I can't quickly or easily find that reference. I'm pretty sure I remember it correctly though. There is still an abundance of wild grape vine here and in years past, both E.s family and mine came here to harvest the fruit. I would think that would have been a draw for the different tribes. Anyway, it's a lovely idea isn't it?

9 comments:

meggie said...

It is a lovely area SOLB, & I love the peaceful effect lakes or any body of water seems to have.
It is sad to think the water seems so scarce on the planet, when sure it must be the same, but perhaps distributed differently.
Thankyou for sharing your visit.

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

they are beautiful pictures...very serene...I love being by the water

Anonymous said...

This water basin looks like a peaceful metitative place. I can understand why the Native tribes loved it.
I remember eating catfish when in the States, it was delicious.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Linda, I meant
"meditative place", of course.

Linda G. said...

Meggie, yes it is peaceful there and filled with good memories..we're so water conscious in the southwest right now that I have to stop and think that the rest of the world isn't necessarily the same!

Hey Teach, it's a tiny body of water, but as you say serene..

Olivia, many people don't like catfish, but it is one of the fish that grows to any size in Arizona, and I'm very fond of it.

Shammickite said...

This looks like a peacful place. I wonder why the water level is so low.

Granny J said...

One of my favorite places, too. There's a lovely little stand of butterfly weed near the picnic tables, BTW. It's important to note that this lake is down -- before people have taken any of the water, which is indeed a reminder of how low we are getting.

Linda G. said...

ex-shamm, we are just getting so much less annual rainfall and snowmelt than we did in yeas past that our little lakes aren't filling up.

Good point gj, this basin is the headwaters for Mint Creak so there is no water for anything downstream.

Changes in the wind said...

I couldn't help but smile at your conversation for it was the same one my folks and I had everytime we drove past over a 45 year span. I grew up in a little town called "Ash Fork" only 50 miles from Prescott. Small world they say...even blogging:)