Thursday, October 25, 2007

A walk in the Park

I had thought to post some little something more often while the girls are here, but as at chronicling everyday life, I've proven a failure. I did remember the camera when we took our lunch to Granite Street Park. The girls took the pictures.

Old Cottonwood trees like these grow along rivers and streams throughout Arizona, but the worsening Southwestern drought is causing the death of many of these shallow rooted trees. Although I am not in favor of lawns here because it takes a great deal of water to keep that grass green, I am glad to see these old trees flourishing where they have traditionally grown. When rainfall was heavy, the creek once flooded into this area providing water for these trees. Now, I'm sure that deprived of the water that keeps the grass green, they would die out.





Some girls like to be photographed and some don't!


A few specimen trees are planted among the native Cottonwoods.


9 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I love the spash of red among the other trees. I wish I had the self confidence to spread my arms and say "Take me as I am...." Ah - the confidence of youth!

Anonymous said...

grey bark with clefts, cracks
and crevices like chipped soil -
surface of the moon

meggie said...

What a delightful post! I just love trees.
And Olivia pays wonderful tribute!

Akasha Savage. said...

I love trees...especially ones that are good for climbing! When I was a youngster, my favourite pastime was to climb among the broughs of the big old apple tree that stood in our garden, and sit amidst the leaves, reading and munching on apples. Recently, me and my daughter went to a stately home here in England and hugged a wonderful tree that was in the grounds...that's suppose to be good for your well-being.

Linda G. said...

Mary Beth, Roo was just born with a lot of confidence and a strong presence, but sweet and polite too..well I'm Grandma so I may be a tad prejudiced:)

Thanks Olivia, I love that picture that Mu took of the bark..

Thanks Meggie..yes she does:)

Akasha, lounging in an apple tree eating and reading sounds idylic! Tree hugging is a good idea-wish we'd done it in the park..

Anonymous said...

old cottonwood trees
shedding soft afternoon light
along the river

Lydia said...

Hi Linda, It looked as if you picked a lovely day for a visit to the park. I like the way those cottonwood trees tower over the smaller ones. They look as if they've been there for a very long time. The drought has also been hard on many of our plants up here in New York State.

Akasha Savage. said...

HELP!
Something weird has happened to by blog page?
all my info on the right hand side seems to have dissappeared!
When I try to replace it, it joins on at the bottom of my page...not the side.
Anyone out there got an ideas why this should suddenly happen?

Linda G. said...

Olivia, Thank you:)

Lydia, I guess much of the United States is facing drought. I have been so focused on the Southwest, I'm just now waking up to that fact! It's pretty scary:(

akasha, I'm pretty coputer illiterate! Can anyone help Akasha?