Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Black Bear Story

I leaped (read crept here, I haven't actually leaped in years) out of bed in high good humor this morning, a minor miracle as I've been sunk in the slough of despond for a couple of days. The girls have all gone home. After a week of sweet voices, communal cooking and cookie baking, deep bedtime conversations, excursions to the zoo and museums, teasing about boys, primping before mirrors, giggling into the small hours of the night, etc. the old house is quiet, very, very quiet ..baahhh..

The good news is that both my son and daughter-in-law both got their elk so the freezer will be full.
A friend called me last night and she had this story to tell:




Her sister Anne lives at Lake Tahoe, a beautiful mountain community that spans the border of California and Nevada. A couple of nights ago, Ann was alone in the house when she heard noises downstairs. She crept down to see a black bear at the refrigerator. He had both the refrigerator and freezer doors open and was happily eating everything he could find.

Panicked, she called 911 and was told that game and fish would have to be advised before officers would be dispatched to assist her. Eventually, she heard approaching sirens. So did the bear. Fully Alerted, he beat a hasty retreat and was not to be found anywhere outside.
They found that he'd forced the kitchen door for entry. The officers pointed out a bank of windows in the kitchen that look out on a forested area and aren't curtained. They told her that the black bears in Tahoe know about refrigerators, and if they can look through a window and see one, they come on in to investigate the contents. They helped her secure the broken door, and she cleaned up before returning to bed.
A few hours later, she was again awakened by noises emanating from the kitchen. Creeping down, she saw the same bear. This time, he was going through the cupboards eating away and happily washing his meal down with juice, honey and syrup. Another phone call.. This time the officers came right over, stealthily omitting sirens. As soon as the vehicles drove in, the bear left. Again, he was not to be found.
Apparently, the bears in Tahoe have found an easy way to prepare for winter! People in Tahoe have formed a bear league to help people live in harmony with the bears, and one of the things residents need to do is make sure the crawl space under their homes is secured as bears have demonstrated that crawl space makes a fine winter den. Talk about tippy-toeing around all winter! Shhhh don't wake the bear!
If you go hiking or camping, it's wise to know what to do to avoid confrontation with bears. I found lots of online advice.


12 comments:

Old Sourdough said...

Oy, Bear stories! I could tell you some! Yikes.

How's your sourdough?

Granny J said...

Hi -- you make me worry about my offspring in Alaska, where all school children are instructed on what to do in case of a moose incursion. Dotter didn't mention the bear problem, but I suspect it's major.

PS -- cheer up!

Anonymous said...

Hello Linda,

your bear story made me smile. What a clever animal, to secure some food and drink, coming into the house twice and leaving just before the police arrived. No burglar will achieve this feat in such an elegant way.

What a coincidence! I also posted a story about bears (and other animals) at the Frankfurt Zoo. It is the location of chapter 13 in my current thriller.

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

Thanks for the smile on a Sunday afternoon. We don't have bears to worry about, so I am sure I find the story much more amusing than some. I love that he came back for desert.

Linda G. said...

OSD I'll bet you could!!!! Granny J's comment about Alaska and bears made me wonder about urban bears in Alaska. Is it a problem or do they still have enough wilderness to remain isolated?

GJ, maybe the OSD will fill us in on this..
Thanks for the cheer-up:) I seem to be the old optimistic bear again!

Olivia, he seems to had it down to a fine science, knowing when to leave and when to come back! I'm sure he'll strike again:)

Hey Teach, this story tickled me too. The responding officers had assured her he wouldn't be back!

Mary Beth said...

Bears are one of the animals that look so cute as youngsters that you have to remember how deadly they are as adults. Like Hey Teach, I love that he came back for seconds. Can I please have a table in the non-bear section please?

Old Sourdough said...

Urban Bears. DEFINITELY still around. The first year we were back, a guy walking his dog got mauled in an Anchorage city park. (Anchorage is a city of 350,000 people...) The urban bears are all dyed different colors so they can be tracked from the air.

As for "enough wilderness" I'd say that if they can't find it in 586,000 square MILES, they need to take a chill pill. Of course, it's time for them to den up, so pretty soon, we won't have to worry about bears, just frostbite. LOL!

meggie said...

I find that story sooo scary! If I lived anywhere near bears, I would make sure my windows obscured all sight of fridges etc.
You can't blame the bears- they just know they want food, no matter what the source is.
A bit like Wekas (birds) in New Zealand. They are very clever & can break into all sorts of 'secure' chilly bins as we Kiwis call them.

Rowan said...

Obviously a relative of Yogi Bear:) The story produced two simultaneous reactions - 'wow, how scary' and ' what a fantastic experience to be so close to a bear'. I must admit though that if I did find a bear in the kitchen investigating the contents of the fridge I would probably not be concentrating on what a great wildlife experience it was!

Linda G. said...

Mary Beth, you can sit in the bear section only if the bear is Pooh:)

OSD, so you are saying the bears don't retreat to the wilderness just because people move in! I thought the reason so many are seen in Tahoe is the fact their territory has all but disappeared. I suppose they adapt pretty well to garbage cans rather than little ants in a log.
The spraying bears different colors is amazing and clever!

Meggie, scary yes..but scarier than a trip down the freeway? In my book, at least a toss up!
I'm going to look up a picture of the Wekas bird. You Kiwis have such interesting wildlife!

Rowan, Yogi Bear personified!
I think I would resent the mess, but still, a once in a lifetime experience! Well..twice in a lifetime...well..hopefully only twice..

Anonymous said...

I thank you for visiting my blog and for the nice comment you left.

I came to return the favor and was fascinated by your bear post. My wife and I both smiled. I like wildlife and appreciate them in ways most folks don't understand. My knees shake when I see a raccoon in my backyard, or a hawk flies in and chases birds around a bush. Anyway, I put your blog on my favorites list. Nice blog. Nice pictures too.

Linda G. said...

Oldmanlincoln, thanks for stopping by, and for the link:) I love your pix and observations, and visit you often..