Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Books vs Computers

I learned to read at age three. The book was, Gone is Gone, or The Man Who Wanted To Do Housework by Wanda Gag. It's a Bohemian folk tale of a silly man who thought his wife had the easier role in the marriage and decided to trade for a day. Well, of course he had a terrible, even a disastrous time and we were all glad that baby Kindli came out of the day alive. I loved that book, demanded it be read repeatedly, and possibly memorized rather than read it. Now, it must be viewed as terribly un-pc as are the early Barenstain Bear books where Papa is portrayed as a bit of a buffoon. Both Wanda Gag's book and the Barenstain Bear books were funny on several different levels so adults could join children in a chuckle or two.

For a couple of years, I directed a children's library program in a smallish community, and had to dream up Saturday morning projects that would appeal to children aged 3 to 12. I soon found that the Library-lady-reads-a-book-or-two half hour that always ended our three hour session was most successful when it included a Barenstain Bear Book. I soon saw that elements of humor in the books held the attention of, and drew a laugh from the youngest child to the eldest. That was in the early eighties.

Sometime in the nineties, the Barenstains came under fire for disrespecting daddies and their newer books, to me, seem pallid little moral missives. Did the early books cause children to disrespect daddies? I think even the smallest children can tell a silly book-bear daddy from their own fathers. At least mine could. They have loved and respected their Dad even if I did read those stories to them at an early age, and they read them to themselves later on.

Huh! another rant! I actually meant to show you part of the Prescott Public Library remodel. This is the comfortable children's reading area.

But where, you may ask are the children? I found some here...



And as for the adults...observe the empty stacks in the background, and the wonderful varying ages of those using the computers..


I read something the other day about publishers thinking that soon people will be ready to give up the printed page altogether. This evidence to the contrary, I hope not!

9 comments:

quilteddogs said...

Oh no!!! Don't let it be so. I couldn't imagine my life without books.

Anonymous said...

Hello Linda,

I think that people will always read books. My experience on readings is that humor draws people, young and old, while political correctness gets yawns.
You have a beautiful library in Prescott.

Mary Beth said...

The feel of the pages, the smell of a well loved book, these things cannot be replaced by a computer. Besides, it's going to be very uncomfortable taking a computer to bed each night, not to mention dangerous as you fall asleep over what you're reading. Just can't happen!

Linda G. said...

quilteddogs, it's not a pleasant prospect!

Olivia, yawns is the best description of political correctness I've heard yet.

Mary Beth, you made me lol as that's the way I go to sleep at night. I can fall asleep, head in hand and propped up on my elbow, wake up, and start right in reading where I left off...

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

In the recent effort for us all to be PC it seems somewhere along the line we lost our sense of humor. If we give up on the printed page, I'm moving to another planet. In our house, the motto was always make sure you have a good book with you, no matter where you go, you might get stuck in traffic, stuck in a line, or any number of things. And since I stare at a computer screen all day, I look forward to that last bit of the day where I read myself to sleep.

Granny J said...

I'm too old to change my ways! Even if I do spend an inordinate amount of time staring at a computer screen, it's not good for concentrated reading, which is the role of books. As for PC, heavens spare me!

Linda G. said...

Hey Teach, you're always prepared with a good book..a very good thing:)

GJ, I know you love books since I've been to your home..otherwise known as bibliophile heaven!

meggie said...

I too hope books are never replaced! I love the smell of books, & love the fact they are so portable. I usually take one with me for long waits, -our popular GPs. I love to read off the computer too, but to curl up with a good book is irreplacable.
And as for PC.. how ho hum.

Linda G. said...

meggie, so many offices have a pathetic selection of magazines..a good book is a must!