Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Light Fingers

I posted another lovely old Post Card on Prescott Past. I hope you'll take a look!

When I was a little girl, my Grandmother used to quote:

Taffy was a Welshman,
Taffy was a thief;

Taffy came to my house
And stole a piece of beef

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was not home;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a marrow bone
.

I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was not in;
Taffy came to my house
And stole a silver pin.


I went to Taffy's house,
Taffy was in bed;
I took up a poker
And threw it at his head.


There are several versions of this old Welsh/English nursery rhyme, but this is the one I remember. Except, I believe the last line was and hit him on the head!

Well, I went to Tombo's house and this is what I stole!

This is something for all readers, writers, and Scrabble players to think about. Speaking of Scrabble, I'd better write some of those vanishing words down while I have the chance! I have decided to adopt the word Flosculation, meaning an embellishment or ornament in speech, and also Prandicle, meaning a small meal.
Two adoptive words are a big responsibility since you pledge to use them on a regular basis, but they both have an intrinsic appeal for me. Don't be surprised to read them here on ocasion.
If you choose to adopt a word, I hope you'll leave me a comment telling me what you chose!!

8 comments:

photowannabe said...

Well its almost 1PM and I think I am going to have a PRANDICLE right now. LOL

Gypsy Butterfly said...

Hello Linda,
What a cute rhyme. I've never it.
Thank you for sharing,
Lydia

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

hehehehe! That is such a fun poem/rhyme. Made me giggle :)

~Lisa

photowannabe said...

I did enjoy it actually. Hubby and I ended up going out to eat for lunch/dinner a bit later after going to the store.

Linda G. said...

Lisa, This rhyme just popped into my head as I blatently stole Save the words from Tombo. Silly stuff:)

Photo:)s

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

I love the savethewords sight. I just adopted amorevolous.

Linda G. said...

Helen, I notice ou didn't deine amorevoleous....Ummm marvelously loving? A romantic vole?

Judy said...

I love your love of words, and I also got a big smile from your grandmother's rhyme. I remember a short one my grandmother used to say:

Step on my toes
And tell me lies
But don't ever feed me
Dried apple pies!

Many years after her death, researching my family roots took me to the village of Castleton, Ontario, Canada. I met a distant cousin there and in sharing family stories, I happened to recite the rhyme. The cousin replied, "Well, you know there used to be a plant here that dried apples for sending to the troops during WWII." Perhaps Gramma's little rhyme was quite "local" to Castleton.

Flosculation... Now there's a word that might be difficult to use on a regular basis! I think I might occasionally flosculate, but how often could someone refer to that act? And does that make me a flosculer? ; )

Belated thanks to you for visiting my site and for your kind message. I must say that your own photography is wonderful, and I wish I had more hours in my day, for if I did, I would be visiting your blog regularly. It's delightful.