Sunday, March 9, 2008

Oh! Deer!

We took a little drive the other day to show our Grandson the little house in the mountain community of Groom Creek, where his Dad lived when he was a boy. We showed him the little house, rounded a bend, and saw a number of sleek Mule Deer browsing their way through the neighborhood. They were all does, and remained unperturbed when we stopped to take a couple of pictures.

I was excited so clicked too soon when I zoomed in on this doe, so it's blurry.

She hardly looked up when we stopped to snap her picture..

After a minute of listening to us exclaiming things like, "Oh my Gosh, there's another one," she decided to move on. But she wasn't in a very big hurry about it.

All in all, we saw six or seven sleek looking does. They will probably spend hunting season in among the houses. I remember someone telling me that in their home town, the deer would all come into town to congregate on the golf courses until hunting season was over. That kind of "dumb bestie" behavior tickles me..

13 comments:

givethemhell said...

Does on the golf course to survive the hunting season - that makes me laugh. They are clever animals.
"Go into the eye of the cyclone, it is safest there."

Gypsy Butterfly said...

Hello Linda, This looks like a beautiful spot. I love the deer in the photos. Deer are so gentle and pretty.

Catalyst said...

SWMBO saw half a dozen Pronghorn the other day when we were driving to Prescott but they are mainly vacant from our area as homes continue to be built. I can remember when hunting season was on, they would lie down among a herd of cows.

Years ago, I moved to Aberdeen, South Dakota, once on the day before pheasant hunting season began. There were birds everywhere, crossing the roads, being a general nuisance. The next day when the guns came out they were nowhere to be found.

Granny Annie said...

There is nothing more exciting that coming across deer unexpectedly. We saw four this morning. We all stared at each other briefly then they ran.

Anonymous said...

That is a really nice surprise. Lots of deer to see and photograph.

Changes in the wind said...

A special treat for sure:)

Linda G. said...

Givem' it's survival of the smartest:)

Thanks Lydia:)

Cat, where do you hide on the wide open prarie? Lie down with the cattle! I didn't know the pronghorns did that..the pheasants are smart too! I wonder how they all know the hunt is on..

Grannie Annie, it was unexpected for sure, and as you say, very exciting to us:)

OldML, It was a very nice especially since we had my Grandson out for a trip in the woods:)

Thanks Changes:)

Shammickite said...

What a great opportunity to observe Nature! I'm surprised that the deer were so calm, they usually run at the first sign of humans.
That looks like a lovely rural neighbourhood.

Old Sourdough said...

So pretty! You little shutterbug, you!

Helen/Spike and Drusilla OK Citizens said...

Great pictures. My parents' yard is over run by deer. Not just the does but stags with full antlers too. They have been flushed out of the wild by all the new housing projects that seem to go up on every available piece of land in NJ. Some of them are so comfortable in the yard, I think they see us as the intruders and won't move until we are practically on top of them. Of course I have yet to see any of them when I actually have my camera handy!

Linda G. said...

ex, I think the more the wild is "settled" by humans, the tamer the wildlife becomes.


OldSD, thank you. Thank you very much:) I'm trying to remember to take my camera when I go out..

Hey Teach, this neighborhood wasn't full of deer in the 1960s.
I guess they are getting used to being around people. I'd love to see the deer in your parents yard:)

photowannabe said...

Nice pictures. I love seeing the deer but they ate every plant we put in at our other house. They seemed to enjoy the "deer resistant" plants the most. LOL

quilteddogs said...

I love these photos.