Friday, December 28, 2007

A Different Dog's Tale


I've been wanting to tell the story of Samantha, my Basset Hound for quite awhile, but it may one that completely stretches your credibility.. Although I'm afraid you'll think mine a smaller even than Pooh-brain, or worse me an ex-sniffer of hallucinogenics, I'm driven to tell this tale.


I was about twenty-three, mother of two young children, and working full time. It was no time to get a puppy, but I had always wanted a Basset and the add said they were reasonably priced, so we drove out to a beautiful area past Granite Dells to find that the pups were sold and gone except for one little female with one white eye. We could have her for half-price, and so Samantha came to take over our household.


We've had lots experience with dogs, and most of them have been well behaved, but Samantha, while eventually housebroken, refused to try to please us in any way. When she came in heat, male dogs gathered around the perimeter of the fence when she was outside. I gave her some chlorophyll tablets ( a difficult task in itself..a tablet in some hamburger seemed to go down the hatch then, much, much later, when she thought I wasn't looking..phttt..out it shot) and low and behold, the male dogs quit coming around. Sam, hormones in gear, missed her would be lovers and when I let her out for a few minutes sat in the middle of the yard calling "woo..oof..wooo...wooo...oofff...," in the best imitation May West voice that you can imagine.


The second heat got her with pups. Remember this was a time when people weren't so aware of how important it is to spay female dogs, so it didn't occur to us at the time. The thing is, Samantha hated being a mother. She had her little crate of pups and when they started squirming and mewling with hunger she would sadly approach the box. Step, stop..big sigh, step..stop..big sigh until eventually she reached it, climbed in and dutifully nursed her pups.


That was the preface, if you're still with me..this is the story.


We were living in lovely, heavily wooded Groom Creek about six miles from Prescott and about a thousand feet higher in elevation. We had found homes for all but one of the pups. He was about half grown and followed his mother everywhere. It was early in December when the pup disappeared. There was snow on the ground, so we all booted up and searched through our subdivision of mostly empty summer homes and through the woods beyond. Coyotes had gotten it, we finally concluded.


We had milk delivery and one day the milkman, after intrepidly chaining up the snowy driveway asked me if we'd lost a pup. Yes indeed, I replied.

"Ther's a lady over on Friendly Pines road who's really angry with you," he said laughing. "She has the puppy and she swears that when it was snowing, your dog came up on her porch and scratched on her door. When she heard the scratching, she opened the door, and your dog shoved the pup inside and ran away through the snow as fast as she could go. By the time it dawned on her what had happened, the dog was gone. She said the puppy seemed just as confused as she was!"


When we retrieved the pup, the woman swore the story was true, and I believed her because I have some other pretty unbelievable stories to tell about that dog. After that, we did wise up and have her spayed!

20 comments:

Changes in the wind said...

Great story...I'm telling you...you need to write more:):)
Smart dog...don't you wish we would have done that with one of our kids LOL!

Linda G. said...

Hi Changes, just got back from your blog! That dog was uncany at times! The kids? Oh yeah, there were times..

quilteddogs said...

Oh! That is just such a funny story! I guess Samantha gives the word "b-i-t-c-h" new meaning.

Shirley Twofeathers said...

What funny story! It's been a long time since I visited, and now I'm glad I did.

I agree with Changes in the Wind, your writing is great! I would love to read more stories!

Anonymous said...

That is a very nice dog and puppy story. I like the photo too.

Catalyst said...

Oh, yeah! Samantha could teach us all something about parenting!

Jan said...

Wow..that is just the neatest story..and I believe every word of it. I thnk that we don't give dogs enough credit..well, any animal, really.

For a long time, I didn't really care for dogs, having been bitten by one, and endured the round of rabies shots, but later, after owning a few of them, I came to respect them as individuals, with emotions very much like our own.

Linda, I love your story-telling, too. You are the greatest! :)

Olivia Kroth said...

Hi Linda,
I love the story of your basset dog Samantha. She reminds me of my younger sister's basset whom I got to tend when my sister was out of town. That basset dog was just as intelligent and stubborn as your Samantha, and he had the most beautiful brown eyes. Oh!

meggie said...

I too, love this story. Do tell us if you kept the son puppy?
Sam was a liberated woman, & didnt want to be tied to pups!

Please tell us more stories about your dogs... or anything at all. I love your writing!

Happy New Year.XX

Anonymous said...

Loved the story.

Linda G. said...

QD, she had her ways!

Two Feathers, thanks for stopping by and for your nice comment!

Thanks OldML:)

Cat, I hadn't thought of it that way, but I do believe you're right!

Jan, I couldn't agree more! animals deserve credit for more cognitive abilities than we humans tend to give them!

Olivis, then you know exactly what I'm talking about!

Meggie, we found a home for the puppy- who knows what sam would have done with him if he'd hung around:)

Welcome Worldphoto$, and thank you!

Mary Beth said...

I think Samantha realized she wasn't the type to be a mother and took matters into her own hands after you, obviously weren't up to the task! I loved her story and can't wait to read more:)

Shammickite said...

I love that story! Not everyone is cut out to be a doting mother, y'know! And when I think back, there are moments when I would have gladly done the exact same thing.....

photowannabe said...

Great story and I do believe it. What a personality she has.
Just wanted to wish you a great New Year. I hope its full of health and happiness.
Sue

Linda G. said...

Mary Beth I guess that's it! She gave up on our taking care of the problem!

ex-there were those days when motherhood just seemed like too much...

Thanks Photo, and I'm sending those lovely New Year wishes right back atcha!

Chris Eldin said...

You are a natural-born storyteller! This was so funny (and I think I believe it too!)
Very, very cute photo!!

:-)

Linda G. said...

Thanks Church Lady. I'm afraid to tell a couple of other stories about this dog as, although absolutely true, no one would ever believe them!

Rowan said...

Lovely story - I'm so glad you got your pup back and he didn't get eaten by coyotes. Hope you all had a great Christmas, like you I've been AWOL recently but am hopefully now back in harness. Happy New Year!

Granny Annie said...

Not only did I enjoy a tremendous laugh over this story, but my hard-to-entertain spouse also laughed. Yes, you are a great storyteller. Thanks for sharing.

Lucy Stern said...

I think your mama dog was just trying to find a good home for her "half grown" pup. Thanks for the story.