Thursday, December 6, 2007

December 7, 2007

My Daughter-in-law called me this morning to tell me that my son would like to smoke a turkey for Christmas dinner and that she has some fancy sauce recipes she'd like to try, if it was all right with me!

I had to laugh because I awakened this morning from a dream that the family came for Christmas dinner, we all sat down around the table and then I noticed that I'd forgotten to cook any food. I'm sure it was my subconscious trying to tell me I'm falling behind in the Christmas preparations! How lovely to know that they will be bringing the main course, and how lovely that they want to do that!

On December 7, 1941 my Uncle, my Mom's brother and his wife and their baby daughter were living in Honolulu. My Uncle Irvin was a Doctor, a pathologist, and he and his family had been living there for at least two or three years when the bombing occurred. My Mom's sister, Doris, a school teacher, was also living there. Their home was on a hillside above the city and they watched in helpless disbelief as Japanese planes swooped in overhead to dive down and release their bombs, bringing death and destruction to the ships of the American fleet gathered in the harbor below.

During the war, I remember my Grandparents listening intently to the radio at night to get the latest update on the war, and I remember rising to my feet, as they rose to theirs, to stand proudly beside them in their own living room, hands over hearts, each time the National Anthem played on the radio. It's no wonder I'm such an old Patriot!

I remember too, my Grandmother fretting at my Grandfather for picking up hitchhikers and him saying it was the least he could do for the brave boys who were fighting for our country. He was proud of my Grandmother for being the person to coordinate supportive war efforts for the block they lived on, and referred to her with much affection as the Block Head.

Newspaper cartoons showed Japanese pilots zooming around in little planes with those leather helmets with ear flaps, goggles, and big smiles with lots of big white teeth showing. As a child, I had a reoccurring nightmare that squads of these planes were swooping down over the trees to bomb us in the front yard of my Grandparents home. My Grandmother and I were trying to run and hide, but couldn't seem to get away. The pilots all had those cartoon faces.

I found a National Geographic site with lots to offer anyone interested in the bombing of Pearl Harbor, including personal accounts.

Here's an amazing picture of the Statue of Liberty made by Arthur S.Mole and John D. Thomas using thousands of World War I Military personnel. You'll find more pictures made by them here.




13 comments:

Rowan said...

Of course, tomorrow is the anniversary of Pearl Harbour - I've bookmarked the site you give as I just don't have time to read it right now but I am interested in Pearl Harbour. Am having trouble finding time to post and comment at the moment. Those photos of the moose and her baby are just beautiful, like all baby animals the moose is a delight.

Anonymous said...

December 7th, 1941 a day that will live in infamy.

I remember that day and I remember almost all of the things you talk about in this post. It brought back a lot of memories. Thanks for posting it.

Olivia Kroth said...

Hello Linda,
what a coincidence that you are posting about a war incident, the bombing of Pearl Harbour, which happened on the 7th of December 1941.

I am planning to post about a war incident, too. It happened one day later, on the 8th of December 1941. On this day - during the Hanukkah festival -the Nazi occupation army in Latvia shot all the Jews of Riga in Rumbala Wood. My maternal great-grandfather lost his life there. I will post this on Saturday.

Catalyst said...

The picture of the "man-made" Statue of Liberty is amazing!

photowannabe said...

I appreciated your post about Dec. 7th.
My Mother in law was pregnant with my husband and F in L. was stationed at Schofield barracks. Dad was called to the base and Mom was impatient because she needed the car to go to teach Sunday School. When Dad called to tell her he wouldn't be home for a while he also told her that the church had been bombed and there would be no Sunday School.
there home was strafed but fortunately no one was hurt and Dad lived to see another day.
3 weeks later my Hubby was born in King Kamahamaha High School because all the hospitals were full to overflowing with the wounded.
Thanks for your post on Peral Harbor.

Changes in the wind said...

Thanks for the memories:)

Linda G. said...

Rowan, thanks for your comment, and thanks for bookmarking the National Geographic site. I'm going back too, when I have time to read more of the Memory Book of personal and family accounts.

OLDML, I imagine it was much the same across America. And, as history goes, not that long ago..

Olivia, I'm looking forward to reading your post tomorrow. I think we need to be reminded of those things that happened less than 100 years ago.

Thanks Cat, and on the web site you can enlarge the photos for awesome detail!

Changes, than you for stopping by:)

Linda G. said...

Photowannabe, didn't mean to skip over your comment! I don't suppose your husband went to school in Hawaii? If so, he would have been the right age to know my cousins or even to have been taught by my Aunt, first grade anyway.. I was pretty envious of my cousins who got to go to school barefoot! Anyway, the last name was Tilden..

Jan said...

What a great post! That is a most remarkable picture,too!

Wouldn't it make a wonderful book, just to have everyone's memories, such as these, collected in one place?

I wish someone would do that, don't you?

Linda G. said...

Thanks Jan:) You might take a look at that Memory book on the National Geographic site. I read some stories, but am going back for more when I have time..

Jan said...

she..I just checked, and can see that I will going back to read them all.

Thanks for the tip! :)

Olivia Kroth said...

Hello Linda,
I just clicked on the photo to enlarge it as you advised.
That is an amazing piece of art, showing the trails of people following their hopes of a better life, a very good visualization of the American Dream.

Linda G. said...

Jan, I started reading those stories and pretty soon tears were rolling down my cheeks..

Olivia, yes amazing what people can think of and accomplish:)