Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Mom



This post is about my Mom, but check out the Wizened Wizard for some awesome pix of the lunar eclipse!


Yesterday, I happened to look out of the window to see my ninety-four year old Mom, working in her shop. I thought she was working on her latest project, a bamboo flute, but she was sorting out sheet music from a storage box. Her drill press is in the background and her radial arm saw is outside, a whitish canvas covered shape in the lower left corner.

She hasn't made much furniture since she turned ninety, but she made rocking chairs and swings among other things, for all of us when she was in her eighties. I'll post pix of some of her projects one of these days.
Here's a longer shot that includes part of her little cottage with the little shop behind. The bit of tilt is the fault of the photographer!
My Mom recently gave up driving and losing that part of her independence has been hard on her.

Her secret for longevity? Good genes for one, but she's always taken good care of herself. She's taken vitamins for as long as I can remember and she's always exercised. Much of that exercise has stemmed from just plain hard work, but she still walks every day. Her motto is, if it can be done, she can do it. She has an insatiable gusto for life and always has a project going.

At night, I look down from my window to see her light shining bright in the otherwise unbroken darkness as she sits reading with her little dog Sadie at her feet. When the light goes out, I know she's tucked herself away in the same little bed she slept in as a girl.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the heart felt tale about your mom.
I wish you and her the best.
Watch

Joni said...

That is the sweetest story, how neat that you live on the same property!

Linda G. said...

ww thanks for stopping by and for your nice comment.

joni, my Mom's cottage was a little rental. When she needed to be close, Eeyore-my DH, totally gutted it and built everything back brand new. She's been living here since 2000. She keeps her independence, but we are close by if needed.

meggie said...

How lovely to have your mother so close to you. And how wonderful she sounds, so full of the joys of living. We should all be so lucky.

Linda G. said...

meggie, yes..I am lucky...that she's close and busy and happy.

Sue said...

You are also lucky to have the kind of relationship that lets you want to have her near! i have recently discovered your blog and am loving it, thanks.

Linda G. said...

Sue, I'm glad you stopped by, and thanks for your comment. I think it's my Mom's fierce independence that makes our good, long term relationship possible. I do help..support..chaffeur..her,but she still makes her own decisions. The future may prove more difficult...

Catalyst said...

Bravo to your Mom! I have quite a few years to go to catch up to her and am not nearly as active. She may have convinced (shamed) me into getting off my duff!

Rowan said...

Your mom sounds like a really great lady, I'm sure she's absolutely right about getting exercise and staying busy both physically and mentally being the secrets of growing old gracefully. What an inspiration people like her are - none of this 'well, when you get to my age you can't' stuff. I'd love to meet her, bet she is fascinating to listen to with all the things that she has seen during her life.

Linda G. said...

Cat, we aren't doing half so well. It takes our whole family to keep up with her activities!

Rowan, my Mom is a unique person. A hobbyist extraodinaire. I always ask for the first completed product of any new fad as once something is conqured, she tends to move on, and one may be all there is! This winter, while all the flowers, bugs, and worms are sleeping, I'll post a showcase of her work..