Sunday, August 12, 2007

Kanga has the Polecat Blues


This week, my daughter Kanga's German Shepard, Conan had a confrontation with a skunk that was probably planning to dine on his leftover kibble. Unfortunately, this occurred just outside Kanga's open bedroom window.
The next day, Kanga called to tell me about it. She and my SIL had bolted from the bedroom into the kitchen as though mindlessly running from an explosion, which I guess they were, as the overpowering odor poured into the room. At that point they were groggy and bewildered. But, as the pervasive smell trailed after them throughout the house, the truth of the situation became clear.
There was no sleep that night. The next day, when K called me, she was still scrubbing, laundering, or throwing away everything in that bedroom. She was in a blue, blue mood.
Still, when I asked about Conan, expecting that he'd been thoroughly skunked, she burst into laughter. Conan, who has some skunk experience under his collar, apparently feels that discretion is the better part of valor, so after confronting and annoying the skunk, he beat a hasty retreat around the corner of the house escaping the crucial moment. Only the tip of his tail was a bit smelly!
Skunks, like coyotes and ravens are thriving as civilization encroaches upon their habitat. They prowl at night eating whatever they can find from earthworms and crickets to pet food to hens eggs and chicks. A skunk will jump on the back of a nesting hen, kill her and partake of her eggs and/or chicks at leisure.
E. had penned a little hen and her brood for safety, but still, a skunk reached through the wire to tear the wing from this little hen when she was a chick. It managed to snag and kill another baby, but of course, couldn't get either chick through the wire Little Lefty is about half grown now and looks rather pathetic with so many adult feathers coming in. This is her wingless side. She won't be able to roost in the tree with the rest of her brood, but she'll learn to sleep in the hen house with the non-fliers like this little Cochin hen.
I have quite a bit more to say about skunks including E's method of skunk disposal, but it can wait until next post.

8 comments:

meggie said...

I was so interested in this post. Having never seen a skunk in real life, I cannot imagine one really. I have heard the smell is really terrible, but reading about the effect on your daughter's room I am amazed. And I never realised they are such a danger to hens- or chooks as we call them- & their eggs & chickens. There are foxes in Australia, & they are known to steal the hens eggs when they can.
My daughter saw one down by our village here, & it is suburban & well populated. It is amazing how wildlife learn to live in secret in suburbia!

Linda G. said...

megie, it is amazing that so much wildlife exists side by side with humankind! There have been some sightings of a mountain lion up the hill from us in a well populated neighborhood.

Granny J said...

Meggie's comment reminds me of my Aussie nephew who enjoyed a four-skunk drive up Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff. He was quite amazed by the odor. A real learning experience.

Linda G. said...

gj, and the odor your nephew experienced was out in the open and diluted!

Rowan said...

Wise Conan, he's obviously taken on board past lessons:) Like Meggie I had no idea that the skunk could have such a powerful effect with its scent even though I knew they created an awful stink. Didn't realise they took poultry either. Happily we don't have anything like that in UK so they've never really been much more than cartoon characters to me - there's obviously nothing funny about them in real life though.

Linda G. said...

rowan, the worst is yet to come! I'm going to post more about skunks!

Old Sourdough said...

nothing like hitting a skunk with one's brand-new pickup! Poor Rammie-Pie (not me! I didn't name it!) had to sleep outside for a month--which the neighbors must have LOVED--in addition to two trips to the Wetzees every week. I swear, skunks wait at the side of the road for a car to come along, so they can have enough light to see to cross.

Linda G. said...

liz, hitting a skunk sure can sure play heck with that lovely new car smell!