Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Best of Friends

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious,
it is the true source of art, science, and friendship."
Albert Einstein
My best friend is coming from Florida for a visit next month. We met in the eighth grade, were inseparable throughout high school, and although ours is mostly a long distance friendship, it is still strong.
I moved from town to town and school to school too much to form lasting friendships until I was in the eighth grade and settled down to finish school here in Prescott. Maybe that's the reason I've enjoyed watching the friendship between my Granddaughters, cousins Piglet and Mu, as it continues to grow and mature over the years.
When they were four or five years old I ran across this little poster. It could be P. and M. walking hand in hand on the beach, and when I see it ......it is.

Piglet was one year and ten days old when Mu was born.

They took to the water together..........


learned to ride horseback together............



made beautiful music together...................


and today, they spend as much time as possible together,
always including Mu's little sister Roo in their activities, but Roo is ten
while they are TEENAGERS......


I love the idea that each of these girls will always have a special friend,

one who understands and cares about her, who will listen to her,
and with whom she can share her triumphs, tribulations, and just plain everyday life.

4 comments:

Old Sourdough said...

Sweet!! Best friends are BEST!

Rowan said...

How lovely that they are cousins and best friends too. I'm like you in that I have a friendship that goes back to schooldays, we were 10 and 11 years old when we met and this year is the 50th anniversary of our friendship - like yours it's mostly long distance now but we just pick up where we left off when we meet. Have fun together.

Linda G. said...

liz, you're so right.....maybe because they know all your hangups and have seen all your warts and still love you...

rowan, "just pick up where we left off"...that's the marvel of it... My best friend and I met in 1950!

meggie said...

How wonderful it is to have a best friend cousin! I have one, & though we didnt spend as much time together as your two sweet girls, we are still so close, & it is lovely because we 'speak the same language' as it were. I couldn't be fonder of her, if she was my sister!
And I am lucky enough to also have a best friend, who is like a sister also. And we share so many memories!