Sunday, July 1, 2007

Home Economics 101

My three youngest granddaughters, Piglet, Mu, and Roo arrived to spend Thursday and Friday with me as they did last week and will do every week until school starts.
We shopped for fabric and sewed two skirts and a dress from pretty prints that had elasticized waistbands for the older girls and an entire elasticized bodice for a dress for Roo. These materials , with the elastic presewn, made great projects for them. We were finished in less than two hours and it was off to the library dressed in the new finery. I'm sorry, I forgot to take pictures!

We returned home to find the AC had failed. It was hot and getting hotter. The girls drooped, spread their new skirts like limp petals across the furniture, and languidly spooned up ice cream as I read Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott aloud. I was inspired by
Rowan's beautiful posting of the romantic poem to share it with the girls.

Wisely, the girls opted to return to their own cool homes while E and I did our best to remain absolutely motionless (we found we have quite a talent tor this) until Saturday morning when our son-in-law helped E find and fix the AC problem. Thank you Gene!

I spent Saturday sorting some mostly over ripe plums that had been given to Owl and turning the good ones into jelly and plum butter. In need of a reward for good behavior, I sat down to see what had been happening in the world of Internet to find I've been tagged. Twice.

OK,
Granny J and Katie. I'm giving it some serious thought!

3 comments:

Granny J said...

Tho,like you, I've been tagged twice, I've still had the good news of a reprieve. Of sorts. Read OmegaMom for particulars. Also I have the fabulous Niece from Memphis arriving the 28th so her daughter can do the Shakespeare festival & she can visit the 103-year-old grandma. So I'm eyeing those Thursday-Friday time slots...

meggie said...

A/C troubles in the heat...just awful! I know how to stay motionless too! Lest I just melt.
Not that we are having that problem just now, it is the keeping warm we are concentrating on now! lol.

Linda G. said...

GJ, as I recall, this Niece and her daughter notice all sorts of interesting stuff to photograph!

Meggie, It doesn't help that we haven't seen a hint of the summer rains that usually start now. You have the opposite of that too! I wish Mother Nature could get it just right!