Wednesday, June 27, 2007

In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Afternoon


Rosie and Charlie......Sigh.............

Having long ago disparaged of television, Eeyore and I get news from the Internet and entertainment via Netflix, and the occasional local movie rental.
Now that summer is upon us, we work outside in the morning and meet over lunch to spend the hot part of the day in the cool house watching whatever has appeared in the mailbox from Netflix. We watch quite a few British movies and TV shows, like Judi Dench's As Time Goes By. Lately we've become hooked on The Inspector Lindley Mysteries and John Thaw's Kavanah QC.

Sometimes nothing arrives in the mail, usually due to our forgetting to mail watched materials back in a timely fashion, and we are forced to turn to whatever we're reading at the moment or watch some old favorite.

Yesterday afternoon we watched The African Queen for the umteenth time. Although we know this movie by heart, we held hands, exchanged, "oh here it comes" glances, and laughed out loud. To our minds, the performances of Katherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart are perfect. (As for the Academy, he got Best Actor).

I feel lucky to have such a like-minded (well most of the time anyway) mate to share in such simple pleasures as enjoying a classic movie.
Yesterday, it dawned on us that we had never read C. S. Forester's book, The African Queen so it went on hold at the library.

I'll leave you with one of E's butterfly pictures. Can anyone identify this little brown guy with all the big fake-you-out eyes on his wings? Maybe one of the Lady butterflies? Well, I don't think it really is a Lady....

6 comments:

meggie said...

I am not such a fan of old movies, but I love those English shows you mentioned. Especially As Time Goes By.
What a stunning photo of that butterfly.

Sigh, wish I had one of those camera's that can take really good close-ups.
We watched 'O Brother Where art Thou' starring George Clooney recently- I just loved it, & laughed, & laughed.

Linda G. said...

Meggie,I love 'O Brother too. Too funny, and the music is great. The Alison Kraus song, Down to the River to Pray is one of my favorites.

KatieB said...

I LOVE the African Queen and think it's so sweet to picture you and Sam watching it yesterday afternoon, just a couple of doors down the street (when I was taking a siesta myself!). Great reminder that I haven't seen it in too long.

I also have a season or two of the "As Time Goes By" series, if you would want to borrow, if you don't have them all yourself.

Granny J said...

And I have all but the very latest of the Inspector Lindley books, if you'd like to read them! They work best if read in sequence because the characters are evolving... of course, I'dhave to find them all in sequence,too!

Linda G. said...

Katie-this is too fun! Thanks for the offer of As Time Goes By. I think we've seen all of them, but will undoubtedly want to go 'round again one of these days, and I'll be knockin' on your door!

GJ Thanks for your offer too. I've been listening to the books all out of order and E's been ordering the flix. I often have 'read" one he orders and know some vital plot elements, but I don't tell. As for the rest of the flix, they change all but those vital bits and it's like watching something entirely new!

Granny J said...

Just thought I ought to tell you that you're IT! I tagged you, you lucky lady, you! Check in with my blog for particulars.