Monday, July 9, 2007

How Full is My Glass?



Katie at Loosely Speaking tagged me with this meme.



Questions and answers:



  1. How full is your glass? My glass is empty at the moment. Or is it?
  • What kind of glass is it? It's a molded heavy glass/cup.
  • What's in the glass? There's nothing in my glass right now, at least nothing visible to the eye.
  • Reasons for #1., #2., and #3.
  • This glass cup is one of a set I bought to use for Irish Coffee. They were a bit larger than the glass cups I was looking for, but I thought they would do. This cup can be used for either hot or cold drinks.

    Since I bought it, this cup/glass has held hot drinks; Irish Coffee, rich hot chocolate topped with whipped cream, mulled cider to be stirred with a cinnamon stick. These drinks have been savored while in the quiet company of family and friends. They have warmed us as we sat, cozy before the fire, listening to the winter wind run sly, exploratory fingers about the exterior walls of our old house searching for the tiniest vulneribility in walls or chimney.

    They have been filed with cold, fruity smoothies, root beer floats, and versions of old fashioned phosphates complete with long handled spoons and straws to be sipped by little girls as they played board games, watched movies, or just sat outside, chatting and laughing in light, lilting, voices as the summer twilight deepened.about them.

    I have served plain coffee or tea in these cups when I wanted the moment to feel a little special.

    One of the things I like about this empty cup is that just looking at it conjures up happy memories of the times it was full.

    And, if I am lured by some pretty magazine picture to try a new drink recipe, my cup will accommodate whatever it happens to be. It is versatile and adaptable, always open to something new. It may look empty to the casual observer, but my glass/cup is full to the brim with bottomless possibility.

    Granny J at Walking Prescott has just done her version of this meme, and a clever one it is too!

    She has reminded those of us who do this meme to refer back to Starbucker who originated it. Sorry Starbuck! I should have had the good manners to do that in the first place!

    I am going to pass it on to a chosen five a little later when summer simmers down a bit.

    10 comments:

    KatieB said...
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    KatieB said...

    Linda, you are so lyrical. I wish I could write like that. Right now I am drinking a mojito down at my end of the block, on this sultry summer evening. Maybe you should try one of those; very refreshing.

    Love your post.

    Anonymous said...

    Hello mam, how are you? I hope fine.
    I'm an Iraqian girl, I've read this post and the post before it, the pictures of America are really amazing, I wanted to write a comment about it, but you know the electricity is very poor here in Iraq, so I can't write alot.
    ok, this is really nice blog.
    please keep writing,
    I hope that you'll consider me as one of your grandkids (Iraqi grandkid) , I have one grandma (the other died two years ago).
    I admire you so much.
    something else, in Iraq we have some drink called locally (nomee basrah), if you want me to tell you something about it, I'll be ready in any time.
    always,
    Moony lass

    Anonymous said...

    hello again,
    something else, my blog name is
    www.iraqianmoon.blogspot.com.

    Linda G. said...

    Oh, Katie! I the one who always admires your writing! I have never had a mojito, but I'd love to try one.
    I could put it in my cup..

    Hi moony lass, my new Iraqi Grandkid! Thank you for coming to visit me. I'm looking forward to visiting your site and learning more about you and your family and your life in Iraq.
    Yes, please tell me about nomee basrah. Can I put it in my cup?

    Catalyst said...

    Sacrilege! Sacrilege, I say! Irish Coffee is a mix of hot coffee, Irish Whiskey and sugar, with double cream whipped and floated on top!

    The Buena Vista, on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, claims to have introduced the drink to the U.S., courtesy of some Irish sailors.

    Linda G. said...

    But Catalyst, that's the way I prepare it.......
    Albiet Jameson is the best Irish Whiskey I can afford and the whipped cream was richer when we got it direct from the cow, but that's it, served in a glass cup brfore a roaring fire. Maybe this winter we can all get toasty together and have a cup. I bet it would put a twinkle in GJ's eye! What is the best Irish Whiskey anyway? I have no idea.
    PS I just looked at what I wrote and see it sorta got scrambled with hot chocolate! OOOps. The invite still stands!

    Terry Starbucker said...

    Thanks so much for participating in this meme - the responses have been facinating and enlightening, and yours was no exception. Katie had it right when she described yours as lyrical. Great writing! Well done, and all the best.

    meggie said...

    What a lovely post! I so enjoyed all the things you wrote about, & the thoughts.

    Linda G. said...

    terry, thanks for the kind words..your meme was thought provoking, open to interpretation on so many levels that I must say I really appreciate Katie's invitation to participate.

    meggie, your lovely writing a;ways strikes a chord with me. Our lives run along on opposite sides of the world, different..and yet..the same.